15 New skincare innovations in 2015
We have had a year of exciting skin care innovations and products. The industry has grown by leap and bounds in 2014 and promises a wide array of new advances and smart technology to enhance consumer convenience and rights.
The new trends in the next year will range from skincare which is digital and wearable, ingestable sunscreens and anti-ageing nutriceuticals, cosmeceuticals containing peptides, growth factors and organic ingredients.
- The keystones for skin care in the coming year will be technology and wellness. There will be spotlight on products and treatments based on cutting edge technology to deliver effective maximum results in minimum time .
- Due to a busy, hectic lifestyle, consumers are looking at products with multiple benefits. So the next year demand and development focus is on products which offer multiple functions such as sun protection,blemish cover,anti-ageing ,pigment correction, acne control all in one product.This makes it easier and convenient to use for consumers.
- Sunscreens are under the radar as it is an skincare product. Sunscreen will undergo a few changes making it consumer-friendly. be easy to use, cosmetically elegant and will not make the skin greasy, sticky and will last longer. This would it make it easier for both men and women to use and makes it a handy all-in-one product. There is research on to develop oral sunscreens that can be popped to give an overall sun protection with minimum hassle.
- 2015 is about customized, intelligent skincare products which deliver results according to skin concern and skin type. The skin care industry is seriously evaluating peptides, growth factors and DNA based molecules which will switch on and off specific genes and thereby influence results. This will augment and provide specific results to consumers.
- Different ways of product delivery and formulations will be implemented such as nanotechnology, lipotechnology,etc. These systems will enhance the efficacy of the product content and not just deliver it.
- Expectation from makeup has risen to provide more benefits. Currently most makeup has inbuilt sunscreen. But makeup development in the future is about more benefits which have treatment advantages like acne and anti-aging in all products.
- Anti-ageing not only for face but also body parts such as legs,arms and breast is the forecast for next year. There are products like whitening creams, antisag, anti-ageing, etc which work on body areas are in the pipeline for next year.
- There is a high interest in developing Apps for skin like fitness apps – it will map your skin on daily basis as skin needs changes on regular basis and tell you things about your skin –like your skin type, hydration and pigment levels, collagen and elastin levels, type of products skin requires on that day.
- Wearable devices and tools are in early stages of research such as jewellery or watches for predicting sun protection are some smart digital technology under development for launch next year.
- Similarly there is lot of focus on developing beauty and cosmetic supplements which internally help in restoring beauty and youth.The concept of restaurants and skin bars offering food and drinks is enticing one and already planned in certain countries.These beverages and food supplements will offer internal gain in wellness.
- There is a strong interest in home devices which are technology oriented such as IPLs, lasers , etc for various indications such as hair removal,age prevention and blemish correction.
- We already have instant benefit products such as hair mascaras for instant hair colors or instant nail paint which dries in seconds. So the need for instant results has increased and in future years it will include other products such as makeup and skin creams. A 3D printer to mix powders and creams to make instant beauty products suited to skin type is another forecast.
- Organic skin care based on plant and animal life is the next year prediction.There has already been an interest in it with snake venom and snail facials and creams launched last year. The concept of bio mimicry is an evolving one over the next few years.The challenge is to develop the organic products which must be natural but with benefits similar to synthetic one. An example is sunscreen which bio mimics the Great Barrier reef corals property of natural sun protection.
- There is conscious approach to selectively build diversified skincare portfolio for men. The awareness in this segment has increased in the last year disproportionately. The future year looks at a fundamental shift in men products such as anti-ageing,whitening,makeup for men.
- Retail and skin commerce will see an upside with vending machines for beauty products. In certain parts of US, it is already a reality. These machines will use facial recognition technology for customized product choice. Thus consumers can assess the skin data and get a complete virtual makeover with barely an effort like while waiting for their flight.
Dr Madhuri Agarwal
Consultant Dermatologist and Aesthetic Physician,
Medical Director and CEO-Sparkle Skin and Hair clinic
Dr. Madhuri Agarwal is one of the leading dermatologists and cosmetologists in the country. Her skills and expertise are a result of her extensive grooming in the fields of cosmetology and dermatology. Her academic qualifications include MD (Skin&VD),Sion Hospital, Mumbai University & M.D. Alternative Medicines from Indian Board of Alternative Medicines, Calcutta. She also holds under her belt an advanced diploma in Dermatology and Venereology from the College of Physicians & Surgeons, Mumbai.
She was the Medical Head for Kaya Skin Clinic West. In her role as Medical Head she had ably led 35 clinics with a team of 60 dermatologists and more than 100 team members of various functions in the last 5 years. She has recently been nominated as “India`s Most Admired Beauty Expert” for the year 2013.She has to her credit a wide-ranging professional experience. From past few years, she has been actively involved in training of dermatologists for Botox, Fillers and Facial aesthetics and has conducted numerous workshops in skin and hair care for multinationals and corporate.