15 tips for eating healthy in restaurants
To keep your meal moderate in calories, fat, and sugars here are a few mantras:
- In a beverage choice, ask for water, buttermilk or fresh lime salted or other drinks without added sugars.
- In a restaurant, start your meal with a salad packed with veggies, to help control hunger and feel satisfied sooner.
- Ask for salad dressing to be served “on the side” so you can add only as much as you want.
- Ask for whole-wheat bread for sandwiches and skip the butter, have with green chutney.Subway. Sandwicheswith lots of vegetables and without cheese are a good option. Skip the mayonnaise and ask for mustard sauce, chilli sauce, vinaigrette and sweet onion sauces
- If in an Indian restaurant prefer tandoori roti over naan made from maida. Include vegetables, such as stir fries, kebabs
- Order foods that do not have creamy sauces or gravies.
- Order steamed, grilled, or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sautéed.
- In non veg items choose grilled fish, Tandoori chicken, Kebabs rather than fried items .
- Pasta in a tomato based red sauce is better than in white creamy sauce.
- Choose a small” or “medium” portion. This includes main dishes, side dishes, and beverages.
- Order an item from the menu instead heading for the “all-you-can-eat” buffet.
- If main portions at a restaurant are larger than you want, share it with a friend.
- If the serving size is big, take leftovers home in a “doggy bag.”
- Resign from the “clean your plate club” – when you’ve eaten enough, leave the rest.
- Choose fruits for dessert most often. Gelato ice-creams especially Fruit Sorbets .are much lower in cream (fat) and sugar than regular ice creams.Frozen yoghurts with fruits is also a healthier option for desserts
Ms Vinita Aran
Ms Vinita Aran is a Certified Diabetes Educator (Accredited by prestigious American Diabetic Association), Senior Diet/Obesity and Wellness Consultant with more than 18 years experience in the Diet and Fitness Industry. She is also a Corporate Diet and Lifestyle Consultant and has conducted workshops and lectures for several prominent corporates.
She has helped numerous clients with her expertise to alleviate their health problems from cholesterol problems to reversing diabetes, curing acidity, gas problem and many more.