Ayurveda Q&A: Therapy for back pain
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. I am recently diagnosed diabetes.please suggest me a diet.i am 37 years old taking medicines morning & evening
Diet is always personalised. Please consult a diet expert for personalised diet consultation. A holistic approach which heals both body and mind can control Diabetes naturally. More than just medicine, lifestyle change can help. Ayurvedic philosophy aims towards a long and above all healthy life in the sense of a balanced style of living – based on the three pillars of body, mind and soul.
Any course of treatment therefore starts with personalization. This includes not only recording the case history and the current living habits, but also a pulse diagnosis and a physical check-up. In this connection, deciding on the Dosha type according to the Ayurvedic Tri dosha model plays a very important part. After consultation with experts, we have nevertheless decided to list a number of indications and name some disorders that have frequently been alleviated by Ayurvedic treatments.
The types of treatment vary of course according to the Dosha type – A combination of yoga, meditation and Ayurvedic therapies and thus a holistic method. This treatment takes 3-4 hours daily for a period of 7-14 days and includes yoga, meditation, rejuvenation massages and Dhara, Njavarakizhi, Thalam, herbal steam baths, mud packs etc. and orally taken Ayurvedic medicine. This programme is very effective for stress management and to encourage body and soul to achieve composure of the mind.
2. Dear dr. Gowthaman, We like to know is any treatment for fsgs (focal segmental glomerulosclerosis) in ayurveda?
Regards / vineet
Focal segmental glomerulosclerosis is scar tissue that forms in parts of the kidney called glomeruli. The glomeruli serve as filters, helping rid the body of unnecessary or harmful substances. Each kidney has thousands of glomeruli. Yes, Ayurveda can help. It is a long time process, medicines need to be taken for 9-12 months with strict diet and exercises.
3. Dear Sir, I would like to know where to get these types of ayurveda massage. Pls give some information about these massage centres. i am suffering to back pain from last 10 year (Not Major pain)
Ayurveda recommends Abhyanga – Warm oil application all over the body followed by warm water bath. This Abhyanga is what is commercially called as Ayurveda massage. If you are looking for a therapy for back pain then please try Kati vasti or Pizchil.
Benefits of Abhyanga, Kati Vasti and Pizchil as follows
Abhyanag – Involves a full body massage with Ayurveda oil for 45 minutes. The oil is selected after understanding the patient’s body nature, the season, and disease condition, if any. The number of strokes and pressure vary with the condition of the individual.
Benefits: Its rhythmic motion helps to relieve joints and muscles from stiffness and makes all body movements free. This treatment increases blood circulation, which in turn encourages quick removal of metabolic wastes and toxins.
• Indications: It is used in cases of anxiety, fatigue, circulatory disorders, rheumatism, arthritis, backache and injuries. It also prevents wrinkles and scales, helps in treatment of spondylosis, sleep disorders, paralysis, improves physical consistency, induces sound sleep, increases a general sense of well being and life span. It also helps improve the complexion and texture of the skin, prevents obesity and diabetic gangrene. Ayurveda recommends Abhyanga as a daily regimen to prevent diseases and disorders.
Pizhichil, which literally means squeezing, a cloth dipped in warm medicated oil is squeezed over the patient’s body. The patient should be made to adopt the seven standard positions so that no area of the body is left uncovered.
Benefit: Relieves body pain and muscle spasms
• Helps preserve and promote optimum health
• Helps in the healing of fractured bones
• Increases immunity and prolongs life span
• Promotes development of muscles
• Improves skin complexion
• Anti aging and rejuvenating
• Ensures better blood circulation
• Alleviates the burning sensation in the body
• A soothing and relaxing procedure
• Prescribed in clinical conditions like Paraplegia, Hemiplegia and other degenerative conditions.
• This treatment is very useful for rheumatic diseases, arthritis, paralysis, sexual weakness, neurological disorders, blood pressure, nervous weakness, diabetes, blood pressure, fits, convulsions, paralysis and helps to arrest the aging process. It is very effective in asthma and even in tuberculosis in early stages.
Lukewarm Ayurvedic / herbal oils are poured into a artificial bridge created around the affected area (Knee, Lower back, Neck etc) for 15 to 60 minutes per day
Benefits: The healing properties of herbal oils used for this massage enriches the blood and builds and maintains strong muscle and connective tissues.
• Loosens stiff joints
• Helps to cure cervical spondilitis, neck pain, paralysis and numbness of hands
• Stimulates and nourishes nerves relieving pain and numbness
4. where can i have shiro-vasthi in chennai, duration and likely expenditure and ideal season for the treatment
Usually every Ayurveda center does have a facility to do Shiro vasti. Please consult the doctor before you take Shiro vasti. Usual charges vary from Rs.1200 – Rs.1800 per session. The process of Shiro Vasti as follows
Lukewarm Ayurvedic/herbal oils are poured into a cap fitted on the head for 15 to 60 minutes per day for a period of 7 days.
• This is highly effective for facial paralysis, dryness of nostrils, mouth and throat, severe headaches, burning sensation of head.
Reduces anxiety and stress
• Bestows liveliness to the organs, a clear voice and firm jaws and strength to the head
• Reduces dryness of the mouth and nose
• It is prescribed in clinical conditions like head ache, ear ache, humming in the ear and ailments connected with head.
• This treatment is effective for migraine, deafness, diseases affecting cranial nerves, facial paralysis, insanity, diseases and wounds etc.
5. Dear Sir, I would like to know where to get these types of ayurveda massage. Pls give some information about these massage centres.
All Ayurveda Pancha Karma Centers in any locality offers these services. Please google search for ‘Ayurveda Pancha Karma Centers’
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.