Ayurveda Q&A: A backpain cure
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Im 44 years old and Im 84 kgs. Consume bot Veg and Non Veg. When ever I walk long distances, I get pain on my left leg which percolates from the lower left back. I also feel that I have pain on my left shoulder blades which percolates to the left hand.
The symptoms are suggestive of back bone trouble – Looks like the cervical and lumbar regions are stiffening. Weight plays an important role. Try to avoid non vegetarian foods as much as possible. Plan your diet and try to increase your physical exercise. Instead of walking I would suggest you take up cycling as it will burn more calories and at the same time strengthen the upper and lower back.
Ayurveda medicines like Dasamoolam kashayam tablets or Dhanvanthram Kashayam tablets – 3 each 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner with warm milk + Cervilon and Lumbaton capsules each 2 nos for 60 days helps you. Eat Recalci 2 tablets thrice daily after food to improve the calcium assimilation in the body.
External application of Kottanchukkadi Thailam followed by warm water bath after 15 minutes as a daily practice improves the regeneration and arrest the degeneration. Please visit a nearby Ayurveda center and take 7-14 days pizchil and navara kizhi therapies; will help a lot.
2. Hai Doctor recent year i got Alopecia areata on my facial beard after using some medicines it was cured and again it came bacother places of the facial beard its hurting .I do follow strict diet and separate maintenance of towels and regular wash of face and hands i dont i still getting . can you suggest me the permanent solution for this . that will help me so much
It is a speciality of Ayurveda. Ayurveda names this condition as ‘Indra Lupta’ treatable with Ayurveda medicines both internally and externally. Internal Medicines like Maha Thiktakam gritam 5 gm twice daily before food with warm water mixed with 250 mg of swarna Vanga powder helps internally. Keshmani oil external application followed by warm water wash twice daily improves the condition externally.
Ayurveda recommends avoiding non vegetarian foods, spicy, salty foods and drinks. Add more drumstick leaves powder soup in your diet.
3. Daily i need to go to toilet 3 to 4 times to empty my bowels. I do have gas problem even after emptying bowels. Gas problem usually comes in the afternoon and evening. Please suggest some remedy.
What is your age? What kind of diet do you follow? As the symptoms are suggestive of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, buttermilk with curry leaves and fresh ginger combination is the best remedy. Take 2 gm of fresh ginger and 2 gm of curry leaves, make a fine paste and drink it with buttermilk twice daily one hour after food. Ayurveda medicines like Dadimashtaka Choornam 3 gm with buttermilk one hour before food with warm water helps. Dasamoola haritakai lehyam 1 tablespoon at bedtime with warm milk helps.
4. Please give me diet plan and how much calorie I may take everyday. My bio data details as follows. I am blood sugar from last 18 years and HBP from last one year. Blood sugar is now normal and I take gynase Mf daily 2 tablets. Blood pressure is 158/82. I have taken Losar-H daily one in morning and Losar-25 one daily in night. What fruit may take freely since I am both blood sugar , and BP
Both the traditional and Ayurveda medical systems recommend only three fruits. semi ripe papaya – 100 gm a day, unripe guava – 50 gm a day and pomegranate – 100 gm a day, apple or orange – 75 gm a day. Modern day research recommends the Indian gooseberry, blackberry, strawberry – 50 gm of any one as part of the diet. Antioxidants like Noni help for both diabetes and hypertension problems.
5. I am 25 years old. smoking from last 5 years. want to quit it. tried several times. but failed. please suggest.
It requires a lot more psychological strength than medicine. I suggest you to take 20 ml of saraswatha Arishtam thrice daily after food with warm water with Manasamitram gutika 1-1-1 after food with warm water. This will improve your psychological strength.
6. Hi..i am Varma(age-22)..i am suffering with serious hair fall..This is due to dandruff..i am doing headbath daily but am helpless..plz suggest me on this.. Suggest some perfect diet and i will follow it.. Is there any best way for regrowth, other than Transplantation??
Hair growth can be initiated through natural remedies and diet. Adding antioxidants, iron and folic acid can rejuvenate hair growth. Eat 2 Keshmani tablets thrice daily after food with warm water, Loham (101) 250 mg thrice daily after food with warm water helps. External application of keshmani oil stops hair fall immediately.
As a home remedy, external application of amla powder mixed with fresh curd as scalp pack helps to cure dandruff and improves hair fall swiftly.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.