Ayurveda Q&A: Dandruff and hairfall remedies
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. My friend is having low Haemoglobin and has Low BP. How to increase haemoglobin levels what food to consume, what food to avoid, what iron Ayurveda tablets to take. Give 2 to 3 names as some may not be available. For LOW BP what foods to consume, what food to avoid, how to have normal BP.
Poor Iron levels usually not related to food intake but it is related to mal absorption. That is the difference between approaching poor or reduced iron levels in Ayurveda and western medical system.
Usually herbs like Long pepper, Black pepper, dry ginger, garlic, Amla, Tenospora cordifolia, Indian ginseng and Indian Asparagus etc improve the drug’s bio assimilation and gives better results. Most of the Ayurveda and traditional formulations are made in such way that it increases the bio assimilation of the combination and the same time reduces the side effects. Any herb as powder or water extract/ decoction taken internally may acts on the liver and reduce the toxicity and improves the metabolism of food, medicine etc.
Medicines like Arogya vardini Vati, Punarnava Mandooram, Maha Thiktakam Kashyam Tablets, Saptamrutha Loha tablets (any one of these 2 tablets after food with water), Avipattikara Choornam (3 gm with warm water at bed time), Loha asavam, Punarnava Asavam, Kumari Asavam (15 ml thrice daily after food with warm water) would help in improving the metabolism and in turn help adding iron levels.
2. My child(daughter) is 1.3 years old. She is not sleeping well or she only 7 or 8 hours a day only including night. Also she is taking very less food only. How to increase both?
Aravinda Asavam 5 ml thrice daily after food would help. Plan a good dietary intake as most of these problems occur due to nutritional deficiencies.
This home remedy would help:
100 ml of milk + 200 ml of warm water + 3 gm of fresh ginger – Boiled for 10 minutes filtered – Give this milk once a day. This will improve the child’s digestion and metabolism thereby improving her eating habits and sleep. Very importantly, it improves immunity.
3. Dear sir, I am affected with the intense hair fall and hair thinning since last 2years. I underwent some treatments using medicines like Menoxidil, Dr.Batra’s and Richfeel’s herbal medicines but none of them gave any long term benefit to me. Now, I am more worried to prevent such a hair fall & thinning in this early age of 30 yrs. Please advice.
There are various causes for hair loss – change of water, nutritional deficiencies, drugs, stress, hormone problems (hypothyroidism) . Even too much use of shampoo turn your hair brittle, make it break and split easily. Dandruff also leads to hair fall.
• Massage your hair with the oil that contains Vitamin E . This greatly prevents or slows down the hair loss. Vitamin E oil strengthens fragile hair and also helps to prevent the dry and flaky skin.
• Twice a week, heat pure coconut oil and apply it on the scalp at night, using cotton wool. Leave it on overnight. Next morning, apply the juice of a lemon on the scalp and wash your hair after half an hour.
• Soak fenugreek overnight, make a paste of it and apply on the scalp followed by warm water bath after 30 minutes.
• You can have henna treatment thrice a month, adding four teaspoons of lemon juice and coffee, two raw egg whites, two teaspoons of oil and enough curd to the henna powder. It will make your hair look healthy and lustrous.
• Dhoordhoorap athradi coconut oil (contains Daturastramonium (Datura), cynodondactylon (Durva), Tinosporacordifolia (Guduchi), Coconut juice) this is so effective for dandruff.
Usage: Massage the scalp gently with fingers in a circular motion so that the oil gets absorbed into the scalp gradually, leave for an 30 minutes then take head bath.
For Hair fall
•Massaging of hair and scalp with a proper Ayurvedic Herbal hair oil increases the blood circulation in the scalp and makes hair root strong and prevents hair loss. This is very essential for hair fall control.
•Neelibhringadi coconut oil (contains Indigoferatinct oria(Nilli), Eclipta alba (Bhringraj), Emblicaoffician lis(Amla), Cow milk, Coconut milk.
•Boil 20 g Thriphalapowder in water. Cool and rinse hair with it.
•Avoid head bath with hot water
•Internally take Chayavana Prash contains 27 herbs to strengthen your body immunity and prevent hair loss, take 1tsp two times daily.
4. Dear doctor, my husband 45 years is unable to sleep well. he sleep sby 10.30 but wakes up at around 2 or 3 and then goes back to sleep after 1 or 2 hrs. Any home remedies please
Understanding the cause of the disorder is very important to address the problem correctly. The primary causes for insomnia are stress, anxiety, medical/ psychological reasons, nutritional deficiencies etc.
In Complementary and traditional medicine, the Indian ginseng powder with milk is widely recommended for nutritional, Anxiety and stress related insomnia and sleeping disorders. The velvet bean powder is also known remedy for stress, anxiety and psychological insomnia.
Ayurveda medicine describes a complete course of action for the successful management of insomnia / sleep disorders starting from detoxification to rejuvenation therapies. NIMHANS, Government of India research center for neurological and psychological disorders has a separate research facility working on this subject. They prefer to have a holistic approach with Ayurveda, Yoga, Diet and nutrition etc. This research shows positive results than just using one traditional or modern system of medicine.
As a simple Ayurveda theory, physical disorders should be managed by psychological therapies and psychological disorders should be managed by physical therapies. Hence, physical exercises like swimming, cycling, keeping yourself busy with some physical activities may help to over come this disorder slowly.
A special therapy for sleep and stress is mentioned in Ayurveda. It is called “Shiro Dhara” which means pouring the medicated Ayurveda oil as a stream in between the eyebrows (Third eye) continually for 30-60 minutes. This is the proven remedy for inducing sleep.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.