Ayurveda Q&A: Diet tips for sinusitis
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Dear sir, My hair density is reducing day by day due to dandruff. Please suggest any good solution to overcome this problem.
This may be due to poor iron, folic acid, protein synthesation in the body. It may also due to poor nutrition supply and proper care to the hair follociles.
Take more fresh curry leaves + coriander leaves + Fresh ginger mix all together as paste/ mixed with buttermilk as diet would help.
Medications like Sudarshanam Choornam tablets, Maha Thiktakam Kashyam tablets, Keshmani tablets, Loham, Loham (21), Loham (101) powders, External application of Dhoordoora Patradi thailam, Eladi Thailam, Kuntalakanti Thailam also would help.
Adding more antioxidants and fresh fruits and adequate amount of water intake would improve the condition.
As a home remedy – Apply Amla powder mixed with fresh curd + 10 ml of fresh lemon juice + 2 Egg (only white) – Apply as scalp pack followed by warm water bath after 45 minutes. Repeat this process twice or thrice a week to get rid of dandruff and thin hair growth.
2. I am a 42 years man and having sinisitus (with Migrane head ache0 and it has been diagnosed in 1999, I used English Medicines and cannot control it, after that i switched to Ayurveda medicines and i had a great relief by the medicine and i am ok now with the sinisitus and Migraine pain, unfortunately the my Uncle who is a Ayurveda doctor who was treating me Expired. Now i am having only the Nose Blockage problem one day it will be left the other day it will be right, please suggest me the medicines for me. And I also my snoring is too high in the nights.
A. Raghu Kumar
Both sinusitis and migraine are inter-related and the effective treatment is not just medicines, but also diet and physical exercises. Without these two, the treatment may be temporary. Migraine and sinusitis can be managed better with holistic approach with Ayurveda, Yoga, Diet and Nutrition therapies. This therapy helps complete detoxification and rejuvenates the entire system from reoccur.
1.Regular cleansing of the stomach is the easiest way to avoid the migraine onsets. Once the unwanted bile juice is expelled from the body the onset will sure comes down. Stress is one of the primary causes for migraine. Avoid high salty, spicy foods and drinks, especially sour foods and drinks, idly, dosa, bread, biscuits, wine, alcohol, non vegetarian foods.
The best simple home remedy is to take 2 gm of powdered cumin seeds mixed with honey once a day (early morning on an empty stomach) for 40 days.
2.Drinking morinda citrifolia fruit juice, popularly known as Noni is very useful for migraine and sinusitis.
3.Intake of Aswangandha and bramhi will give a better relief from migraine headaches.
Shatavari 5 parts, Bramhi 4 parts, Jatamamsi 3 parts, Musta 3 parts, decoction made out of these medicines taken twice daily before food will give good relief from migraine & sinusitis headaches
4. Ayurveda medication Suta Sekara Ras or Laghu Suta Sekara Ras 2 tablets thrice daily with betel leaf juice and Rasnadi choornam external application with warm milk or fresh ginger juice improves the condition in no time.
3. I am 29 years of age and for the past 3-4 months i am suffering from minor throat aliment almost on a daily basis, this gets aggravated during morning were i suffer from throat pain sometimes and lots of sneezing also whenever i take little oily food the throat congestion aggravates i have been taking salt water gargles and there is some relief can you tell me an affordable home remedy for this which will completely cure this phenomenon.
Simple and very effective home remedy could be gargle warm water processed with Triphala or Amla powder twice or four times a day. Improve your water intake and physical exercises. Add more curry leaves and coriander powder in the diet.
Ayurveda medicine, Rasnadi Choornam – External application over forehead and cheeks, nose will improve the nose blocks and sneezing troubles in no time.
4. Respected Dr.,My son is suffering from severe fungal infection with sinus problem Though nasal spray and antibiotics are being given , still he is having severe head ache and fever. Could you suggest some remedial measure for him?
The effective treatment for sinusitis and fungal infection involves two phases of treatments.
First phase of treatment is aimed at improving sinus drainage and curing the inflammation of the infected sinuses.
Second phase is to strengthen the immune system and prevent re occurrence of the disease. To complete the full course of treatment takes 6 months of continuous treatment.
a. In the meantime take 100 ml of warm milk mixed with 3 gm of dry ginger powder twice daily in empty stomach. This swiftly can improve your immunity and metabolism.
b. As a remedy, Rasnadi Choornam, one of the safest and commonest products recommended for sinusitis. Take 5 gm of this powder mix it with warm milk and apply as a pack in chin and forehead followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes. This will help reduce the sinus attacks and headache.
3. Nasal insufflation of medicated powder, decoction or oil is called Nasyam. Nasyam is excellent for acute and chronic sinusitis. It clears the accumulated waste in the throat, nose, sinus and head . Kapha related toxins from the Para nasal sinuses are eliminated.
4. Here are some diet tips for sinusitis:
•Eat more vegetables
•Take hot liquids that relieve congestion and sinus pressure
•Eat dry and warm foods
•Avoid cold weather
•Drink a plenty of water
•Eat fruits like apples and pears, avoid heavy and sour fruits, like bananas, pineapples, oranges etc
•Do not eat oily and cold foods
•Avoid skipping or delaying meals, as this will upset digestive balance and cause formation of toxins.
•The foods consumed should not be too hot or too cold.
•Avoid ice-cold foods and beverages. The foods consumed should be warm, light, nurturing and easily digestible.
Home and Ayurveda remedies: To reduce inflammation of sinuses take Vyoshadivatakam or Sutharsanachoornam 5-10 g, mixed with honey intermittently. To reduce pain and tenderness, you have to drain the fluid from sinuses.
For that prepare following mixture:
◦4 parts turmeric
◦2 parts black pepper
◦2 parts dried ginger
◦1 part Camphor
Mix this powder with lemon juice or warm water and apply over the forehead followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.