Ayurveda Q&A: Eat a fruit before your meal to lose weight quickly
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
Doctor, I am 40 years old … My nerves are too weak…. what solution about this?
Dear Samy, muscular weakness usually mistaken as nerves weakness. What are the symptoms you have? Did you consult a doctor to say it is nervous weakness. I need more symptoms from you to advice specifically.
The following Ayurveda or home remedies can help you for the time being:
a. Boil 100 ml of milk, 5 gm of dry ginger powder, 3 gm of Indian Ginseng (aswagandha) in 200 ml of water till it becomes 100 ml. Filter and drink the herbal decoction once a day on an empty stomach. This will improve your condition swiftly.
b. Eat 3 gm of Velvet Bean powder with warm milk twice daily after food
c. Regular application of warm olive or gingelly oil from head to toe followed by warm water bath after 45 minutes, will improve the blood circulation to nerves and muscles.
2. Dear Doc., My daughter has been recently diagnosed for SLE. Is there any treatment in Ayurveda for SLE as in Allopathy there is permanent cure for the disease. Need your guidance /advice on the same.
Dear Mahesh, SLE is an autoimmune disease. This means there is a problem with the body’s normal immune system response. Normally, the immune system helps protect the body from harmful substances. But in patients with an autoimmune disease, the immune system cannot tell the difference between harmful substances and healthy ones. The result is an overactive immune response that attacks otherwise healthy cells and tissue. This leads to long-term (chronic) inflammation.
Yes, this problem can be managed with Ayurveda medications and therapies as it requires long time and repeated detoxification and rejuvenation for complete healing. More over a planned diet with meditation exercises helps to keep the patient healthy. Please contact us for a personalised health advice.
3. I am 67 years old and still actively involved in consultancy work, I have had the lower leg knee pains and spasms on my both hands. My hands shoulders are under pain in the night.What solutions about this and food and the pain management.
Dear Mr. RV Govind, reduced blood circulation and reduced physical rejuvenation / regeneration may be one of the common causes. Reduced levels of hyaluronic acid levels may cause this after 50 in men and after 40 in women. The common food supplements that induce hyalurnic acid secretions are as follows:
1. Animal Sources – Animal products are considered to be the best natural sources of hyaluronic acid. Hyaluronic acid is a major component of the connective tissue, skin and also the neural tissue. Hence, all types of meat, that have skin and large amounts of connective tissue, serve as rich sources of hyaluronic acid. Soups that are made from bones and skins of chicken contain high amounts of connective tissue and collagen.
2. Spices and Peppers – Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid can promote hyaluronic acid in our body. A variety of peppers, including yellow, red, green and orange peppers, are rich sources of vitamin C and can thus help in promoting needed hyaluronic acid in the body. Herbs such as cilantro and parsley that are commonly used as spices in a variety of foods also serve as good sources of vitamin C
3. Fresh Fruits – Citrus fruits such as lemons, oranges, limes and grapefruits are a great source of vitamin C or ascorbic acid. Other fruits that are rich in vitamin C include guava, mango, cherries, blueberries, raspberries and all varieties of grapes. Fruits rich in magnesium such as apples, bananas, tomatoes, avocados, pineapples, melons, peaches and pears also help in increasing hyaluronic acid.
4. Vegetables – Research shows that a variety of vegetables, especially starchy root vegetables including potatoes and sweet potatoes, enable the body to produce hyaluronic acid. A number of vegetables including spinach, cauliflower, broccoli, asparagus, green lettuce and green beans are rich in magnesium and help in hyaluronic acid synthesis.
4. I have been suffereing from arthritis due to my body weight will you please suggest me to get rid these pains. Pl dont tell me to reduce weight, which I have been trying.
Dear Mr. Subramanyam Degala
1. Avoid intake of tuber, curd, non veg foods and drinks
2. Take any one fruit just before your three meal times. This will helps to you to lose weight swiftly and also improves blood circulations to the affected areas.
3. Application of warm gingelly oil or olive oil with pinch of salt in the affected joints and muscle areas followed by warm water bath after 45 minutes
4. Intake of water processed with fresh ginger helps in reducing the pain in no time.
5. Ayurveda has numbers of external therapies with medicated powders and oil can help you both for weight loss and pain
6. External application of horse gram with buttermilk on the affected joints followed by warm water wash after 30 minutes could help in ease the joints and muscular areas.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.