Ayurveda Q&A: Haematemesis? What are the herbal remedies
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. I am from Germany and I suffered under Ulcerative Colitis for years. About 5 years ago my colon had to be removed as the inflammations never disappeared and my colon was about to break through. My surgeon built an ileoanal J-Pouch which had its takedown about 5 years ago. The problem is that I have a chronic pouchitis (inflammation of the pouch) since about three years and until today all school-medicine (steroids, mesalazine, infliximab, adalimumab, antiobiotics, probiotics etc.) didn’t help. Because of that I have tried a lot of alternative medicine like chinese medicine, homeopathy, tibetan medicine etc. I have also tried boswellia serrata and boswellia carterii…the last one seems to help a little but the inflammtion is still not gone. I have about 10-15 bowel movements per day and the consistency is not very good. I do not lose blood at all. In order to give my pouch another chance (alternative is the removal and an installation of a permanent ileostomy), I read a lot information about ayurvedic treatments. I already do some yoga and try to eat according to ayurvedic therapy………it definitely has a positive impact. Anyway I am still not in remission (since 4 years!) and I am starting to lose my patience. In fact I can never sleep through the night as I have about 3bm’s per night…….awful and exhausting!
I found information on ayurvedic medicine which might be effective but on the one hand I do not know if this information is serious and on the other hand I do not know how I could obtain the medicine in Germany. Do you think it is worth to try ayurvedic medicine as it has probably no side-effects? Where could I get the medicine? Any suggestions regarding the medicine I should use?
I would also like to consult an ayurveda doctor in Germany but unfortunately I couldn’t find anyone.
I really hope that you can give me an advice.
Thanks a lot for you help.
Kind regards from Germany/Frankfurt.
Hi Oliver Berg,
Ayurveda can very well help you. I suggest the following protocol for better results and healing
1. Ayurveda Assessment of Balance and Imbalance
The Ayurveda assessment of balance and imbalance does not simply identify the gross physical abnormality and match up drugs to a symptom. This is because people can have the same disease for different reasons. It is well established that the circular and longitudinal muscles of the small bowel and sigmoid are highly susceptible to motor abnormalities. As a result, many factors can influence their contraction rates and lead to the excessive activity of their function which is at the basis of irritable bowel syndrome / Ulcerative colitis . Ayurveda evaluation searches for the various root causes of excessive GI motility through a determination of the imbalances in the functioning modes of the body.These underlying imbalances are the root causes of the condition and must be removed if real healing is to occur. By determining the causal imbalances at the basis of a disorder, the personal evaluation helps address the fundamental source of ill health in the individual.
According to Ayurveda, the following are the general types of imbalances at the source of most chronic conditions
a. Toxins accumulating in tissues and blocking circulation.
b. Poor nutrition.
c. Poor digestion.
d. Imbalance of the nervous system.
e. Accumulation of physical and mental stress.
f. Lowering of natural resistance and immunity.
g. Disruption of natural biological rhythms.
The common modern medical approach that matches drugs to symptoms does not completely address many of these factors. As a result, modern medicine often cannot fully remove the disorder and the condition becomes chronic. Chronic means that the condition persists over time even with the best modern medical treatment. Currently over 100 million Americans suffer from a chronic condition, indicating that some new approach is needed in our health care.
Natural Treatment Program
1. Removing the Buildup of Toxins and Impurities
Most chronic disorders start when toxins accumulate in tissues and begin to disrupt the delicate biochemistry there. Toxin buildup can also obstruct the channels of circulation and elimination. This blockage prevents proper nutrition from reaching the tissues and blocks the processes that cleanse them of impurities. This process can irritate the muscle tissue and nervous system control, resulting in excessive contraction activity and the symptoms
The daily three-hour treatment program of massage, heat treatment and mild herbal enema improvise the condition in no time. These three treatments received in combination every day for 5 to 21 days create the ideal internal physical environment for healing. These treatments helps loosening impurities that have become embedded in tissues and helping liquefy them for easy absorption into the circulation and eventual elimination; Softening and opening the channels of circulation and elimination so proper nourishment can reach the tissues and impurities can be more easily eliminated from them and
activating the elimination process for the most thorough cleansing of the entire physiology.
2. Proper Nutrition
Ayurveda provides detailed understanding of which foods to favor and avoid for your condition. Avoid foods that are hard-to-digest, clogging to the physiology and aggravating to the functioning modes that are already imbalanced in you. Favor foods that are easy-to-digest, nourishing, cleanse the physiology, strengthen digestion and balance your body’s inner intelligence. One of the great strengths of the Ayurveda dietary approach is that it contains knowledge of how to have a light, easy-to-digest diet that still is both satisfying and nourishing. Many individuals have easily followed this diet and have improved their digestion and energy while also reducing their symptoms.
3. Creating Strong Digestion
Our ability to properly digest food is as important as what specific food we eat. Incompletely digested foods create toxins and impurities that are eventually absorbed, travel throughout the physiology, localize in tissues and disrupt their functioning. This process plays a major role in a wide variety of chronic conditions.
Proper use of spices and cooking oils.
Herbal preparations for improving digestion.
Important differences between breakfast, lunch and dinner foods.
A simple system to determine a balanced diet.
Digestion-enhancing foods to favor.
Digestion-depressing foods to reduce.
Eating behavior for maximum digestion.
Proper food combinations to avoid indigestion.
Non-dietary regiments to improve digestive strength including exercise, specific Yoga asanas and breathing techniques.
4. Balancing Nervous System Activity
The nervous system controls most bodily functions, and almost every chronic condition is affected in some way when the nervous system activity becomes imbalanced. According to Ayurveda, the physiological principle at the basis of nervous system stability and activation is called Vata. Because nervous system imbalance contributes to this condition, from the Ayurveda perspective Vata imbalance is an underlying cause of the condition and needs to be reversed.
5. Stress Management
Excessive mental, emotional and physical stress can worsen the symptoms of many chronic disorders, including this. This is due to hormonal changes and other biochemical responses to stress that can imbalance the nervous system and depress the healing ability of the body.Enhancing the body’s ability to recover from stress is an integral part of the Ayurveda to health and well-being. Indulging in the Meditation and Yoga, Ayurveda massage and heat treatments helps a lot.
6. Lifestyle and Daily Routine
One of the most important factors for maintaining healthy functioning is to have a lifestyle that does not disturb natural bodily rhythms. When we eat, sleep and exercise in constantly fluctuating and disturbing patterns, the body loses its natural balancing cycles and cannot cleanse or heal itself as effectively. Therefore, regularity in our daily routine can be extremely effective in reducing physiological imbalances.
7. Exercise and Flexibility Education
Ayurveda considers proper stretching and flexibility exercises to have a very positive effect on circulation, nervous system function, the body’s healing response and the treatment of many chronic conditions.
1. Amalaki (Emblica officinalis) is a rejuvenative and tonic
2. Coriander, sandalwood powder prepared in ghee, which is often mixed with fennel, long pepper, black pepper, and cloves helps in digestion and frequent bowel movements.
3. Musta ( Cyperus rotundus) improves intestinal absorption and stops frequent bowel movements.
4.Aloe vera juice, turmeric, manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia), guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) and shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) are excellent for balancing both frequent bowels and stamina
Compound Ayurveda Medicines effective for this condition
Compound formulations commonly used for the treatment of IBS :
Brhat gangadhara curna/ Dadimastaka curna/ Jatiphaladi curna – any one 1 tablespoon after food with buttermilk twice or thrice daily
Chitrakadi vati / Shankha vati – 1 tablet thrice daily after food with buttermilk
Dashmuladi ghrita – 1 tablespoon twice daily 30 minutes before food followed by warm water
2. dear sir. my age:30yrs. i had Hematemesis last week, (found through endoscopy), doctor has suggested me to go on bland diet, my working require me to sit for 7-8 hrs in a day. i have consistent gas problems also, i constantly feel stomach and left side of chest full whenever i eat ,even eating fruits give me tightness. i will be very thankful if you will suggest some changes, what to eat, what food avoid and how much to eat.
Were the doctors able to nail out the cause of the Haematemesis? Understanding the cause helps solving the problem. Your question is incomplete. Usual cause is Upper gastrointestinal tract inflammation. The following Ayurveda medications can help you a lot
1. Thiktakam Kashayam – 15 ml + 45 ml of warm water – Twice daily 30 minutes before food
2. Vasa Avaleha – 1 tablespoon thrice daily after food followed by warm milk
3. Kaseesam (101) – 250 mg mixed with above Vasa Avaleha – Thrice daily
3. I’ve a problem of 1st degree piles. our colone specialist Dr. Fazlul Haq made a short colonoscopy of mine & examined & diagnosed the problem. He prescribed me the medicine like omeprazole 20mg & also the suspension of magnesium 480mg with simithicone 20mg 2 teaspoonfull 3 times daily. I took those medicines but i didn’t get better result than wood apple.Sometimes i would suffer for diarrhoea with dysentry, off & on i would suffer flatulence & gastritis problem as my stool was not clear. But when i started eating wood apple my stool became smooth & also no gas , no irritation would happen in stomach. But problem is ripe wood apple is only available in winter in Bangladesh. Now i’ve found a herabal company in my country whom manufacture wood apple in powder form. After taking this yesterday again my stool is normal. So it’s proved that wood apple is really a magic fruit for piles, gastritis, dysentry. But iwant to know how it works for diabetes ? Althoug
h i’ve no problem in diabtes. People with diabetes have a wrong notion about wood apple as it contains sugar. Thk u.
Md. Abu Saleh
I have shared some of the research articles done on Wood Apple for your reference
1. A STUDY OF HYPOGLYCEMIC AND ANTIOXIDANT ACTIVITY OF AEGLE MARMELOS IN ALLOXAN INDUCED DIABETIC RATS – http://www.ijpp.com/vol48_4/a_study_of_hypo_476.pdf
2. Anti-Diarrhea activity of Aegle marmelos unripe fruit – http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6882/9/47/
4. My husband aged 40 has high BP and high cholesterol. he takes medication for both. he is a teetotaller and is a vegetarian. Please suggest some home remedies so that he can be off statins. He also has problems of gas.
Fresh juice or herbal decoction of Vasa (Adathoda Vasica) with 2 gm of clove powder once a day in empty stomach solves these problems completely. Please take it for 90 days and repeat the diagnostic tests.
Diet and exercise plays a vital role. Please pay attention to these two for good results.
5. Dear Dr Gowthaman, I cannot find the supplements to cure puffy eyes that you stated in the above article; Loham (101) 250 mg thrice daily after food with Loha Asavam 30 ml. Can you please advice me where I can purchase these products. My eyes are real puffy especially the left eye. To let you know, I have tried complete liver cleanse and total Kidney cleanse supplements, along with vitamins and L-Tyrosine. I like the vitamins and L-Tyrosine, the other two products were probably a waste of money. I tried them because I have been having constipation problems for the last two years where my back started hurting. I also seemed to like aloe Vera juice. The last few days I am trying to eat light and it seems to be working that is my constipation problem, but that’s the last two days and I’ve done this before. I am 52 yr. old.Two different acupuncture’s said I have a thyroid problem. Anyway, I am really concern about the eyes. the puffiness started happening about 4 or 5 years ago. thanks and anything else let me know.
Please take 15 ml of DNA Noni with 100 ml of warm water twice daily. Please take 2-3 liters of water everyday. This helps the detoxification, removes the toxins and most importantly regularize the digestion and metabolism. Please take it for 3 months for better results. It is widely available online. Please do a simple search for ‘DNA Noni’
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.