Ayurveda Q&A: Home remedies for age spots
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. I am Lata/F/38 from Delhi. I am suffering from T.B. for the last about 3 months. I am taking medicines and I have to take for next 6 months more. Actually day by day my weight is increasing, previously it was 65kg (height is 5’1″)but now it is 73. I am a working lady. Kindly help me how to reduce weight and how to control it.
Since TB is a malabsorption syndrome according to Ayurveda, anti TB medicines tend to improve the absorption and sometimes damage the liver functions ending up with weight gain. And most of the anti TB medicines are intent to improve the appetite or hyper appetite state. Its a very good sign that the body is positively responding to the treatment.
I suggest not take more rice, sweet and non vegetarian foods and drinks. Plan your meal times with fresh fruits and more vegetables and greens with limited rice. Since you are in Delhi adding more wheat should not be a problem.
Simple apple diet does help during this phase. Take 1 apple before breakfast, lunch and dinner followed by your regular meals helps reducing the calories and the same time take care of your nutritional supplements too.
Adding good amount of water, planned physical exercises helps you to manage weight.
As a weight loss Ayurveda supplement product please take Loham (101) 250 mg thrice daily before food with warm water. As a home remedy take 1 clove every day with warm milk at empty stomach once a day.
2. I am Research Assistant in Canada. I am suffering from hyperpigmentation from last five years it started as dime size circle on one cheek and in 3rd year same size appeared on other cheek, I used hydroquinone based cream which make it worse and it also spread around eyes and sides of forehead. I have this problem before marriage, Now I have 2 year old baby pls suggest me what should I do to get rid of these marks. One more thing I am planning to get pregnant so please advise me some external application or something which is safe during pregnancy.
As discussed earlier, these are the three effective remedies which I suggest to my patients. Pregnancy and hormonal imbalances could further helps these pigmentation process. These remedies are very effective and safe for pregnant women too.
Vinegar: Dilute vinegar equally with water, and use to cleanse and rinse your face. Allow to air dry to seal in moisture. Or, use the vinegar/water mixture in place of an astringent or toner. Vinegar is chemically acetic acid, and is capable of whitening and brightening, as well as making skin smoother and more radiant. It has also long been used for a skin softener. Apple cider or other natural vinegars are recommended, though some people use distilled white vinegar.
Onion Juice: To get onion juice, you can finely chop up an onion, or blend it, and squeeze the juice through a cheesecloth. Mix with equal part apple cider vinegar, apply twice daily with a cotton ball and watch for results over the next several weeks. Alternatively, you can cut a slice of onion, dip it in vinegar, and apply it to the pigmentation.
Lemon Juice: Applying the juice of a fresh lemon to the pigmentation has a similar effect to the onion remedy – it is acidic and can safely peel off the top layer of skin, causing spots to fade.
Onion, vinegar and lemon juice are excellent home remedies to relieve you of age spots, melasma, pigmentation and discoloration.
3. I am bhoopendra patel 32 year olds i have sinusitis problem from last 12 years.
The cause is likely to be frontal sinusitis. Often the eyes are sensitive to light & reddish , forehead pain is induced, sneezing & Running nose.
Plz. advice the treatment.
Thanks & Regards
Sinusitis can easily managed by Ayurveda medicines, yoga and improved life style habits.
1. Indukantam Kashayam tablets 2 numbers twice daily before food with warm milk + Dhanvantharam gutika 2 tablets and Agasthya rasayanam 1 tablespoon twice daily after food with warm milk helps. Rasnadi choornam 1 tablespoon external application with warm milk improves the nasal blocks and congestion in no time. Use it for 30 days as first phase of treatment.
2. Nasya Karma or Nasyam – One of the five purification therapies practiced in Ayurveda Medicine. A medicated oil/ powder/ fresh herbal juice is administered through the nostrils (Nasal drops). This therapy is very effective for sinusitis, cold, cough, asthma, eye disorders etc.
3. Following are the effective home remedies for sinusitis
a. Garlic is one of the best medicines for sinusitis. 3-4 garlic clove paste mixed with honey twice daily 5 minutes before food is good for sinusitis, improves immunity and reduces the tenderness
b. Fresh juice of onion mixed with honey improves the stuffiness, nasal block in no time.
c. Black pepper, long pepper and dry ginger with honey is very good for chronic sinusitis
d. Turmeric with diluted milk removes the sickness swiftly.
e. Plain steam bath is one of the most effective ways to get rid and prevent sinusitis.
f. Fenu Greek tea/ Cumin seed boiled water is considered the effective one in China – 100 ml of water + 5 gm of Fenu Greek seeds boiled for 5 minutes and taken as tea twice or thrice daily protects from cold, cough and immunes the body from sinusitis
g. Carrot juice, Cucumber juice helps improve the immunity which in turn reduces the re occurrence of the sinus attacks.
h. Turmeric 2 parts, Cumin 4 parts, coriander seeds 4 parts, Fenu Greek seeds 4 parts, Ginger 1 part as a soup helps.
i. Thulasi juice 5 ml + honey 2 ml as a regular diet removes the sinusitis and improves the immunity
j. Eat plenty of organic fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid skipping or delaying meals as this will upset digestive balance and cause formation of toxins.
4. Diet for Sinusitis
a. Fresh fruit juices & Vegetable soups, plenty of warm water intake helps
b. Well balanced diet by including seeds, nuts, grains, vegetables, fruits helps
c. Avoid fried, starchy foods and drinks, White sugar, rice, pasta, Pies, cakes and candies
d. Avoid banana, eggplant, bell pepper, tomato, as these clog the channels.
4.my 5 yrs old son always suffering from cough(during weather change) & tonsile.
Subra vati is one of the most effective remedies for this condition. Give him 2 tablets thrice daily after food with warm water. This will help him to prevent the cough and tonsillitis during the seasonal changes.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.