Ayurveda Q&A: Home remedies for asthma
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. My son, Anand R, 16 years is suffering from severe respiratory problem due to one of his nostrils muscles have contracted, according to Doctors who diagnosed him. They advised operation after 19 years (adult stage). What is the interim solution for relief, as his studies are affected due to this everyday problem kindly advise
C V R Iyer – Father
Yes, Ayurveda and Yoga with dDiet can help. Indukantam kashayam tablets (3 Numbers) with warm milk twice daily before food + Dhanvantharam gutika (2 Numbers), Agasthya Rasayanam 1 tablespoon at bed time followed by warm milk, Rasnadi choornam – 1 tablespoon mixed with warm milk as external application over forehead followed by warm warm water wash after 15 minutes helps. Avoid curd, cold, salty, spicy foods and drinks, Exposure to cold etc.
2. Suffering from Asthma for the last 10 years. Taking alopathic medicines and taking injections when it is acute. Pl advise ayurvedic medicines and home medicines to get rid of alopathic medinces and get relief
Asthma can be better managed with a holistic approach with Ayurveda, yoga and diet than simply using the medicines.
Yoga postures are good for asthma
Prarambhik Sthiti (base position) is very effective in curing asthma. Baddhakonasana (restrained angle pose) also strengthens the pelvic region of the body and helps to prevent asthma. Upavista Konasana (seated angle pose) is yet another means to combat asthma. This will also minimize the chance of arthritis and sciatic pains. Supta Baddhakonasa (sleeping restrained angle pose) is another exercise that can effectively cure the disease
Medicines like Indukantam Kashayam, Vyagryadi kashayam, Bharngyadi Kashayam, Balajeerakadi kashayam etc are found to be effective to improve the lung capacity and relaxes the respiratory muscles. (15 ml + 45 ml of warm water twice daily before food)
· Honey is very effective to cure asthma.
· Figs can be a very good remedy in the treatment of asthma.
· Lemon juice drunk with water also has a positive effect on asthma.
· Mixture of 5 gm of Indian Gooseberry with 1 tablespoon of honey to control asthma.
· The roots of bitter gourd are also useful in the treatment of asthma.
· Soup of drumstick leaves can treat asthma effectively.
· A mixture of ginger and fenugreek decoction along with honey act as an effective means to control asthma.
· In the initial stages, garlic mixed in milk works as a tonic against asthma.
· Bishop’s weed is another means to cure asthma. It should be taken twice with buttermilk.
· Safflower seeds are also very useful in curbing bronchial asthma
3. Dear Sir, My son is having a comlaint of wheezing occassionaly. He is fifteen years of age.Kindly respond.Thanking you,
As discussed an holistic approach may be helpful. This is not just a problem related to respiratory system; it has stronger effects on digestive, metabolic and immune system hence a holistic approach with Ayurveda, yoga and breathing exercises, diet and nutritional plans can help better.
Some simple practices like taking early dinner, adding more fiber and fresh foods and drinks, avoiding cool, dry, salty, spicy foods and drinks etc may help.
Milk processed with fresh ginger and palm sugar is an effective remedy to prevent the bouts. In India, most of the traditional and tribal practitioners give fresh juice of Vasa (Adathoda vasica) with honey in empty stomach for asthma. These remedies are clinically proven effective for asthma and also improve general health and metabolic system of the child. Regular practice of yoga and Pranayama, with some Ayurvedic medicines and proper diet and nutrition follow ups can minimise the asthmatic attacks and the same time may help in establishing self confidence against asthma. Intake of dates syrup, grape, wine are widely recommended to improve metabolism and digestion. Many practitioners suggest regular intake of juice of amla (Emblica officinalis)/aloe vera/noni to help improve digestion and metabolism and increase the bio assimilation of essential nutrients which in turn can reduce the bouts of the disease. Avoiding non-vegetarian foods and drinks, alcohol, completely avoiding citrus fruits etc may be helpful.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.