Ayurveda Q&A: How to stay refreshed in summer
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Hello Sir, I am 35 yrs old and losing a lot of hair for past 3 months. It is getting worse because of sweat in summer. Any ayurvedic remedy please?
Hair fall can be the out come of low iron levels, malnutrition, insomnia, water pollution etc. The simple and more effective remedy as follows:
1. Apply warm coconut oil on the scalp and massage for 4-8 minutes with out pressure.
2. Follow this by application of 100 gm of amla powder + 1 cup of fresh curd + 10 ml of fresh lemon juice + 2 egg whites as a pack on the scalp followed by bath after 45 minutes.
3. Repeat the above process every alternate day for 40 days.
4. Internally, take 3 gm of fresh curry leaves + 3 gm of fresh coriander leaves + 3 gm of fresh ginger – Mix to make a paste and eat it once a day on an empty stomach followed by warm water.
This will improve hair growth and also helps prevent hair fall, dandruff etc
2. Dear Doctor, please suggest remedy for sinus. I cannot go out in the sun at all, my cheeks get swollen and head pain is there
Sinusitis is an immune deficiency disorder. Hence it requires a systemic treatment varies from 2-6 months time. In the mean time take 100 ml of warm milk mixed with 3 gm of dry ginger powder twice daily on an empty stomach. This can swiftly improve your immunity and metabolism.
As a remedy, Rasnadi Choornam, one of the safest and commonest products recommended for sinusitis. Take 5 gm of this powder mix it with warm milk and apply as a pack on the chin and forehead followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes. This will help reduce the sinus attacks and headache
3. hi. Im taking ashta churnam for indigestion. I have a gastric problem every now and then even if I eat on time. Please help.
Ashta Choornam is not to be taken continuously as it may cause gastric irritation and burning sensation and it may rise the blood pressure too. Take Gandharva Hastadi Kashayam 15 ml + 50 ml of warm water + 1 pinch of jaggery + 1 pinch of salt – all mixed together 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner. This will remove the toxins and improve the liver and metabolic functions swiftly and permanently.
Eat less food with increased frequency. For example, instead of taking 4 idlis for breakfast, eat 2 at around 9 and two after some time – it will digest with ease.
Avoid spicy, salty foods and drinks, pickles, and curd. Drink 2-3 litres of water and include buttermilk in the diet.
4. Sir, please tell us how to use herbal remedies to stay refreshed in summer.
Primary remedy is to take adequate amount of water. The following simple home recipes can help keep you refreshed in summer:
1. Water processed with dry ginger and jeera (one litre of water, 3 gm of dry ginger and 2 gm of jeera)
2. Prepare a cotton bag with Hemidesmus indicus (Nannari), Indian asparagus (Tanneer Vittan Kizangu), Chrysopogon zizanioides (Vettiver) – Fill water and soak the bag in the water for 2 hours and drink. This helps you remain fresh and reduces extra thirst and dryness.
3. The body needs to rehydrate, so it is better to have fruits like melons and grapes; these fruits are rich in water and can make you feel refreshed.
4. Wear only clothes made of light materials to avoid too much sweat. It is also best to wear light-coloured clothes; dark clothes absorb heat and can make you feel uncomfortable.
5. Summer refreshing facial – Take 1 cucumber, 1 tsp of mint leaves paste, 1 tsp of rose water, 1 tsp of lemon juice – mix it and keep in freezer for 5 minutes. This will improve your skin, remove dead skin etc in no time
6. To avoid and treat sun burn – 1 cup of fresh Aloe Vera juice, 3 table spoon of mango juice, 1 table spoon of lemon juice and honey. Mix well, apply as a pack followed by cold water wash after 30 minutes. Do it twice a week. This will make your face shine well.
5. Dear Doctor, i am 35 years old i am suffering with neck pain and mild pain surrounding ear nerves, because of this I can not concentrate on any thing. i visited several doctors they are saying mild spondilitis and giving some pain killers , please suggest me permanent solution for this
This problem requires systemic therapies. Ayurveda therapies like Pizchil, Navara kizhi etc would help. Treating muscular system with nervous system helps you heal properly. Addressing the nervous system alone wont help. As a home remedy application of warm olive oil followed by warm water bath after 45 minutes would improve the blood circulation to the affected tissues thereby improving healing. The following Ayurveda medications like Dasamoolam Kashayam, Ksheerabala (101) capsules, Shiva Gutika, Kaishora Guggulu, and external application of Sahacharadi Thailam and Dhanvantharam Thailam would help.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.