Ayurveda Q&A: Remedies for lichen planus
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director, Dr Gowthaman’s Ayurveda Panchakarma Center, Chennai, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
Read you article in the sify site.
My son 2yrs old developed white patches under under his lips in May’2012 and soon we noticed white spots in his toe. Slowly it spread to his fingers, stomach and legs, eye lids, under the eyes. We initially tried Allopathy and shited to Ayurvedic line of treatment from December’2012. The treatment was – Charak’s pigmento applied before bath and exposed him to sun for 10 mins and then applied neem oil and give bath using the neem & besan paste. We still did not see any difference and new spots started appearing. The last month we consulted an other ayurvedic doctor in Chennai. She advised on Aval guju beeja Chooranam – to be applied after mixing with gomutra. It is now 3 weeks since we started this treatment. Pl let us know if we are on the right track.
Parents: Mahendra & Anitha
Hi Mahendra and Anitha,
I would ask you to check his Vitamin D levels, reduced Vitamin D sometimes lead to this condition. If Vitamin D is deficient no other medicine or therapy would help. Application of Aval Guja Beeja choornam is good for this condition. Please do anything external as the child is too young for any internal medications. Vitamin D supplements if required please give her. Add Egg white, Curry leaves, Coriander leaves, fresh ginger in the diet. Drumstick leaves helps too
I am Raju, Male, Age 31.
I am suffering from lichen planus on skin from past 10months, presently i am taking allopathy treatment and if i stop medicines immediately after 2 days i can see rashes on lower part of leg and also on knee.. Please suggest me through Ayurveda treatment this disease can be cured completely and also help me out by give me the tips on food diet to cure and also ayurveda medicne to intake and for external apply on skin
I will be waiting for your feedback
Thanks and regards
Lichen planus requires specialized Ayurveda therapy and medicinal treatment, moreover diet plays a vital role. Please take the following medicines Maha Thiktakam Kashyam tablets 2 + Manjishtadi Kashayam tablets 2 – 30 minutes before food with warm water and Arogyavardini gutika 2 three times a day after food with warm water with Eladi Thailam external application followed by warm water bath helps. Avoid Non veg, spicy salty foods and drinks, junk foods etc. Take 2-3 liters of water everyday is a must. Add more fresh fruits, vegetables and green in diet. Take more boiled foods than fried foods.
1) my age is 47, i am having eary ejaculation problem, my penis size is diminishing, suggest treatment in auyrveda. how can i increase semen quantitiy ?
2) Is there any treatment in auyerveda which can regrown the hair. if so what is it. some body says that using garlic pase on affected area can prove beneficial. if so kindly recommend and suggest.
3)my daughter age 11 years is pising/ urining during night sleeps. any
treatment pl suggest.
Hi Mr. Khan,
1.Herbs to Improve sexual health for both men and women
a. Ashwagandha (Withinia somnifera) is beneficial to improve sexual health in both men and women. It is believed that can cure premature ejaculation, impotence, erectile dysfunction and weakness.
b. Shilajatu – It is a resin that oozes out from the mountain due to heat. It is actually the decomposed plant matter. It not only helps in sexual dysfunction but also helpful in anti-aging and rejuvenating properties.
c. Atma Gupta – Mucuna pruriens (Velvet Bean) to improve fertility.
d. Curculigo orchioides (Musali) – Regular use of the powder mixed with ghee acts as aphrodisiac
e. Asparagus racemosus (Satavari) – The root of Satavari is used in the form of juice, paste, decoction and powder is use as an aphrodisiac
f. Buchanania lanzan (Priyala) – The seed kernels of this made into a powder and used with milk as an aphrodisiac.
g. Emblica officinalis (Amalaki) – The fruit and seed of Amalaki is used in the form of powder and juice is used as an aphrodisiac
h. Semecarpus anacardium (Bhallataka) – The nuts, oil and flowers of Bhallataka is used in the form of paste and oil is used as an aphrodisiac.
i. Tribulus terrestris (Goksura) – The whole plant of Goksura is used in the form decoction and powder is used as an aphrodisiac.
Ayurveda therapies to improve sex in both men and women
Ayurveda dedicated a specialized department called ‘Vaji Karana’ to improve the sexual life of both men and women. In fact Ayurveda is the first systems to dedicate such a chapter for this subject.
1. Abhyanga (Ayurveda Full Body Massage) – Stress endured by the body is relieved through Abhyanga, a Unique method of medicated oil massage, improves the blood circulation, tones up the muscles, relaxes the body
2. Pizchil – King’s Therapy – The whole body is subjected to streams of lukewarm medicated oil with simultaneous soft massage. Enormous amount of medicated oil to the volume of more than three liters is used in this. This therapy protects the body from illnesses and builds up immunity for a healthy life. It is very useful for rheumatic diseases, arthritis, paralysis, sexual weakness, neurological disorders, blood pressure, and nervous weakness and helps to arrest the aging process.
3. Navarakizhi – A massage to the body with small cotton cloth boluses filled with cooked Navara rice after a liberal application of medicated oil over the whole body. The rice is cooked in cow’s milk and herbal decoction. The boluses are dipped in the same mixture of cow’s milk and herbal decoction and applied all over the body to induce sweat. This procedure is highly rejuvenating, nourishing and prepares the individual to bear the stresses and strains of a busy lifestyle. It enhances physical consistency, strengthens the nervous system and improves the overall appearance of the skin. This is a strengthening fomentation employed in neurological disorders, rheumatism, arthritis and malnutrition of limbs. This is very effective in improving the sexual health.
4. Ksheera dhara- Herbal milk is poured over the forehead or over the whole body. Great therapy for people suffering from headaches from Vata and Pitta predominance, Insomnia and mental tension. It improves the sexual interest in women
5. Kati Vasti- Specially prepared warm herbal oil is poured over the lower back and retained inside the black gram paste boundary for the required duration. The healing properties of herbal oils used for this therapy deeply cleans and enriches the blood, builds and maintains strong muscle and connective tissues and lubricates the joints keeping them flexible and pain free. It alleviates lower back conditions like Lumber Spondylosis, Inter vertebral disc prolepses, Lumbago (low back ache), and Sciatica. It improves the nervous function and blood circulation to male / female reproductive organs which in turn improves the sexual functions.
2. Hair loss is mostly related to reduced testosterone levels in the body. Take the above herbs for 90 days it may help you to regain hairs. With out consulting medical experts please do not try any Garlic applications. Apply Amla powder mixed with curd, lemon juice, Egg white as pack and wash it after 15 minutes. This remedy is very effective both for hair growth and prevents hair fall.
I am 29 years old female. My height is 5.3. My weight is 53 kg. I have gained extra weight in my tummy part.
My belly looks clearly divided and the upper part is more bulging otherwise i have no extra fat in other parts of my body.
Improve exercise and simple apple diet, it helps you to loose weight especially tummy. Take 1 apple before breakfast, 2 before lunch and dinner. Also drink good amount of water for better results. Don’t starve. Eat food at proper time for better results.
I had posted before for remedies for eosionphilia and dryness in nose, continuous sneezing and allergic reactions. You had suggested me to take following medicines.
1. Vyagrayadi Kashayam – 15 ml + 60 ml of warm water – 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner
2. Dhanvantharam gutika – 1-1 with above Kashayam
3. Vasa Arishtam – 30 ml – Twice daily after food with warm water
4. Subra Vati – 2 tablets three times a day after food
Im residing in Bangalore and Im unable to obtain Subra Vati tablets in ayurvedica pharma. Can you please suggest any alternative way. Till now im taking all other 3 medicines for about a month, still im facing severe itching sensation inside nose followed by sneezing and headache. Im not able to get adequate sleep due to this and almost daily i end up waking forcibly because of these symptoms right from 3am. Im very eagerly waiting for your valuable advise.
Try Esno tablets, this will help you.
Dear Dr. Gowthaman,
I read your article on Gout on the internet and was quite enlightened by it. Thank you very much.
I have been suffering from Gout like pain for last 15 years (I am 45 now), but only came to know it as Gout in the last 5 years. As the attacks were not very frequent, I paid no much attention back then. Recently, the attacks are getting frequent and I have tried to follow every bit of information available on the internet and books regarding my diet, but still I do get these attacks – sometimes severe.
What I liked about your article is that you mentioned that sedentary lifestyle, lack of proper exercises, not having sufficient sleep, stress, etc could be some of the reasons for the suffering. Upon reflection of the above, I do get a feeling that I need to work on this element of my life as I see a lack of that in my current phase of life. Thank you again for that article.
You have suggested some Ayurveda medicine in the article such as Snehanam-(oilation), virechanam- (purgation), abhyanga- (massage), pradeha, pralepa-(medicated packs) and basthi-(enema).
I tried a few Ayurveda pharmacies in Mumbai but could not find any of the above or even its equivalent for Gout relief as well as prevention.
Are you able to guide me on how I can acquire this medicine? I will be very grateful.
Thank you again,
These are not medicines, Ayurveda therapies to heal Gout. Ayurveda medicines like Amruthotaram Kashayam 15 ml + 45 ml of warm water – thrice daily 30 minutes before food and Chandraprabha gutika 2 tablets three times a day after food with warm water and Pinda Thailam external application followed by warm water bath helps.
Please visit the near by Ayurveda Therapy center and consult the physician for a holistic Ayurveda Therapy program for Gout for better results.
I came to know about this herb in the net and as i have insomnia, post manopause mood swings and a sudden frozen shoulder, asthmatic, etc. what is the tamil name for this and how can i use it?
please answer my needs
Indian Asparagus is one of such herbs. Take 100 ml of milk + 200 ml of warm water + 5 gm of Indian Asparagus powder – Boil the mixture until it becomes 100 ml – Filter and drink it 30 minutes before breakfast and Dinner. Try this for 120 days for better results. The tamil name is “Thaneer Vittan Kizanghu”
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.