Ayurveda Q&A: Weight loss and Ayurveda
Dr Gowthaman, Medical Director of rVita, answers readers’ questions on Ayurveda. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Tuesday.
This week’s answers:
1. I am 37 yrs old, my wt is 70 kg n ht is 5 feet 1 inch. I want to reduce my wt. my diet is not so much. in the morning i take 1 glass ‘sattu’, lunch-2 chapatis with one subzi n salad, dinner-some rice with dal n subzi, salad. pls suggest me hw cn i reduce my wt.
Weight gain is a metabolic trouble. It has very little to do with our food intake. Correcting the metabolism, detoxifications possibly help to maintain normal weight. Physical exercises and stress bursting too have a significant role in weight reduction.
a. 3 gm of clove powder in empty stomach with warm milk for 30 days clears the unwanted fats and toxins from the body. I have found this recipe is very effective against obesity.
b. 3 gm of violet bean powder at bed time with warm milk, is effective in reducing the cholesterol, fats and it is very effective for stress induced obesity.
c. To begin with, follow a healthy food habit. Avoid rice and potato as they have a lot of carbohydrates. Take wheat instead. Avoid high calorie foods like ice creams, chocolates, sweets and other stuff. It is also better to avoid all milk products. Regular exercise and walking could help.
d. Ayurveda detoxification therapies like medicated purgation therapy, sudation therapy etc could help
e. Ayurveda has a special weight reduction therapy called “Udvartanam” – Usually offered over a period of 21-40 days where herbal powders are applied all over the body followed by herbal steam bath.
2. I am 22 years young girl. I had diagnosed for SLE in 2008. Due to this i am facing many problems i.e dry mouth, eye dryness, tiredness, fever etc.Is there any permanent cure for SLE in Ayurveda.
Is there any problem in marriage. I need your advice. I am very thankful to you.
Systemic lupus erythematosus often abbreviated to SLE or lupus, is a systemic autoimmune disease that can affect any part of the body. As occurs in other autoimmune diseases, the immune system attacks the body’s cells and tissue, resulting in inflammation and tissue damage. SLE most often harms the heart, joints, skin, lungs, blood vessels, liver, kidneys, and nervous system. The course of the disease is unpredictable, with periods of illness alternating with remissions. The disease occurs nine times more often in women than in men, especially in women in child-bearing years ages 15 to 35
Ayurveda considers this condition as Yapya which means the patient needs to take the medications life long. But the life style and general wellness of the patient can be well maintained with Ayurveda medications and therapies compare to Allopathy or current medical systems available.
SLE causes an increased rate of fetal death in utero and spontaneous abortion (miscarriage). The overall live-birth rate in SLE patient has been estimated to be 72%. Pregnancy outcome appears to be worse in SLE patients whose disease flares up during pregnancy. Neonatal lupus is the occurrence of SLE symptoms in an infant born from a mother with SLE, most commonly presenting with a rash resembling discoid lupus erythematosus, and sometimes with systemic abnormalities such as heart block or hepatosplenomegaly. Neonatal lupus is usually benign and self-limited.
3. hi sir, i am 30 year old, i am suffering cold allergy from last 5 years, i have consulted many doctors about this, but not cured. i take Cetirizine tab once in a 2 days to avoid cold. please help me.
Its shows that your immune system is weak. Take Vyagriyadi Kashayam 15 ml with 45 ml of warm water twice daily 30 minutes before breakfast and dinner with 2 nos Dhanvantharam Gutika. Apply Rasnadi Choornam 5 gm mixed with fresh ginger juice as external application on fore head and cheeks, above nose twice daily followed by warm water wash after 15 minutes.
Take 100 ml of milk, 200 ml of warm water, 5 gm of fresh ginger paste/ pieces – Boil them together and reduce to 100 ml. Filter the mixture add a little palm sugar – take it once a day on an empty stomach. This will build your immunity swiftly.
Some common and effective home remedies
1. 3 ml of fresh ginger juice with honey (few drops)
2. 3 ml of fresh juice of Adathoda vasica with honey (few drops)
3. 3 ml of Tenospora cordifolia with honey (few drops)
4. 2 gm of black pepper and long pepper with honey as a paste
5. 3 ml of fresh juice of holy basil with honey (few drops)
6. Warm milk 100 ml with a pinch of turmeric powder and black pepper powder at bed time.
Send in your questions on Ayurveda to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Ayurveda FAQ` in the subject line.