Ayurvedic cooking: Garlic coconut dry chutney
Medicinal properties of garlic chutney/spread
The anti-inflammatory property of garlic is helpful in reducing joint pain in conditions like arthritis. The recipes which contain garlic are regularly administered to new mothers as it reduces inflammation of uterus, back pain and normalizes vata. Garlic also increases sperm count, sperm motility and helps in erectile dysfunction. Hence, it is helpful for men who suffer from impotence.
Cumin and garlic in this preparation help in conditions like indigestion, constipation, loss of appetite, piles and intestinal parasites. Regular use of garlic helps to prevent skin diseases. Persons suffering from chronic cough can reap the benefits of garlic.
Dry coconut provides plenty of dietary fibers. Dietary fibers help to reduce risk of heart diseases, cancer and reduce blood sugar. Coconut helps to increase intestine friendly bacteria which in turn help to improve the health of intestines. Coconut also helps to expel intestinal parasites like tape worm.
1. One half of a dry coconut, grated
2. Dry red chillies (according to taste)
3. 8-10 garlic cloves
4. ½ tsp sugar
5. Tamarind, a small grape size
6. Salt to taste
7. 1 tsp cumin seeds
8. 1 tsp coriander seeds
9. 1 tsp sunflower oil
- Place a thick bottom frying pan on stove.
- When it heats up, add oil.
- Simmer the flame.
- Fry, red chillies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, dry coconut and tamarind till coconut becomes little crisp.
- Transfer this to a plate and wait till it reaches room temperature.
- Blend all other ingredients along with fried ones in a blender to get a coarse powder.
- This can be used as bread spread, or a filling for chapati rolls.
- It goes well with dal and rice.
- A little butter or ghee has to be smeared on the bread before spreading this chutney.
Image: Flickrcreative commons lowjumpingfrog