Ayurvedic cooking: Rice gruel
Yavagu is a simple gruel, which is prepared using rice, water and mild spices.
According to ayurveda acharyas, yavagu should be administered in conditions like fever and, as diet for convalescing patients and seniors who cannot digest heavy food. It provides instant energy and helps to recuperate fast. The liquid portion of yavagu is an excellent food for babies who are being introduced to semi-solid foods apart from mother’s milk.
Acharya Charaka praises the benefits of yavagu as follows:
1. It improves digestion
2. Normalizes vitiated doshas
3. Reduces thirst
4. Increases energy
5. Relieves constipation
1 measure rice
6 measures water
Salt, required quantity
¼ tsp grated ginger
1 pinch powdered pepper (optional)
1. Boil rice in water till it softens.
2. This can be can be cooked in a pressure cooker also.
3. Add salt, pepper and grated ginger when rice is well cooked and stir well.
4. Yavagu is ready to eat.
5. Instead of spices and salt, sugar, cardamom and milk can be added to make a sweet variant.