Dermatology Q&A: Healthy skin involves a healthy diet
Dr. Jaishree, Medical Director of Skinfiniti Aesthetic Skin and Laser Clinic, answers readers’ questions on skin care. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.
This week’s answers:
1. I am 22 years old….m suffering from dark colour knees…. from 2 years m trying home remedies like rubbing lime juice, moisturizing a lot, n lot more….but no results…. is there any clinical n safe treatment for knees lightening????
Constant friction will lead to dark elbows and knees. Do not scrub as this will increase the pigmentation. Avoid wearing tight fitting clothes. Moisturise your skin well especially the knees. Use a natural coconut milk based moisturiser at least twice a day.
It locks moisture in the deeper layers of the skin and keeps the skin hydrated. You may use a cream containing tretinoin 0.025% at bedtime. You may do yellow peels once in 3 weeks for best results.
2. I have loads of acne vulgarise and its pigmentation need your help
Acne occur when overactive sebaceous (oil) glands secrete too much oil (sebum) in the skin. Do not apply any oil based creams or do facials which could block the pores and give rise to more whiteheads. Do not pick or squeeze the acne. Drink plenty of water and have a balanced diet with a lot of green vegetables and fruits. Avoid direct sun exposure as this will aggravate the pigmentation due to acne.
You should use a mild face wash with salicylic acid.. This will reduce the oiliness and keep acne at bay. Apply a cream containing adapalene on alternate nights to reduce the acne as well as the marks.
You could go in for glycolic and TCA peels to get rid of the pigmentation. Remember to use a natural coconut milk based moisturiser with sunscreen in it especially if you go for peels.
3. I had a natural fair skin than I started bleaching it ….at least I had bleach 6 to 7 times and I am still of 16 ….my face has become very .pl help .balaguru
Stop bleaching. Use a mild cleanser such as cetaphil cleansing lotion instead of soaps and face washes. Make sure you hydrate your skin and protect it from sun exposure. Use a natural coconut milk based moisturiser with sunscreen in it. This will be mild on the skin as it has no chemicals and yet will protect & moisturise your skin. Use vitamin C and Vitamin A serum on alternate nights. Eat plenty of citrus fruits to reduce the toxins.
4. Plz give me suggestion for healthy skin
Healthy skin involves a healthy diet with plenty of antioxidants. Brightly coloured fruits, green tea, bell peppers are rich in antioxidants. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol. Make sure you sleep for 6 hours at a stretch. Exercise five days in a week.
Basic skin care involves cleansing and moisturising. Sun protection is another important aspect of skin care. At bedtime, use a moisturiser or an antiageing cream. Avoid frequent scrubbing and bleaching.
5. Hi Dr. I am aged 24. I am having dark black over my face for many yrs. It is exactly in the smiling curve bet nose and lips. My skin is fair and that particular black makes my face very awkward. I can’t afford much too any skin clinic. If any ointment please suggest or home effective tips where it gets cure within month. I have my marriage after 2 months. Please Dr. Awaiting for ur reply.
You seem to be suffering from perioral pigmentation. Do not use harsh soaps, face washes, alcohol based toners and scrubs on your face. Do not apply lime, lemon or any acidic substance as it may irritate and burn the skin.
Apply a natural coconut milk based moisturiser twice a day. Do not forget to use a sunscreen everytime you step out in the sun. Apply a mild hydrocortisone based cream with a ketoconazole based cream at night on the dark patches.
6. Hi Madam, now I am 22 yrs old. My hair is falling continuously. Is there is any problem in taking bath daily. how to prevent my hair loss.
Have a high protein diet to strengthen your hair shaft. Whole wheat, cereals, sprouts, egg white, lean meat, milk, soya are rich in proteins. Take a biotin, iron & calcium supplemet daily for 3 months.Use a mild shampoo and conditioner twice a week. Avoid blow drying, straightening & perming at least for 6 months. Indulge and pamper your hair – A hot coconut oil massage works wonders as a conditioner and provides the necessary nourishment & moisture to your scalp and hair. It is recommended to oil your hair at least 2 hours before you wash your hair (at least thrice a week) to regain the moisture.
If you have a query for Dr. Jaishree, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Dermatology FAQ` in the subject line. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.