Dermatology Q&A: Home remedies for soft winter skin
Dr. Jaishree, Medical Director of Skinfiniti Aesthetic Skin and Laser Clinic, answers readers’ questions on skin care. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.
This week’s answers:
1. My hair gets oily 2-3 days after it is washed even if it is not oiled. How to prevent?
Oily hair is nothing but excessive sebum secretion by sebaceous glands in the hair. You may wash your hair daily with a baby shampoo as it is extremely mild & wont damage the hair shaft. Use a hair serum to condition your hair. Avoid hair mousee and hair gels.
2. Please advise the creams (moisturize and body lotion, sun screen lotion) for winter and summer.
Moisturising should be a basic body care regime irrespective of the season. In winters ones skin tends to get drier. Coconut based moisturizers work wonders for the skin as they protect the skin barriers and lock in moisture from escaping the skin’s surface! The result is skin that’s naturally soft, through the day. With regular usage of such a moisturizer you will definitely notice your skin becoming much softer.
3. Home remedies to soften the skin in winter and prevent chapping.
· Use home-made mask for skin during this winter such as – Mix yogurt with grounded almonds and coconut milk, then apply the mixture on your face. Wash it off with lukewarm water, after twenty minutes.
· Avoid steam as this will dehydrate your skin and make it drier.
· Make it a point to eat orange red coloured fruits and vegetables to pump up the carotene levels, drink plenty of water. Sandalwood paste is a good, safe exfoliant that can be put on pimples to dry them up.
· Using fruit based moisturizers like coconut and papaya regularly will help improve the smoothness of your skin.
· Using a coconut pack at least twice a week helps in keeping your skin soft. Coconut oil penetrates the skin and increases the moisture content significantly as coconut oil-based moisturizers have properties similar to skin’s natural oils.
4. When i oil my hair it becomes very oily, and when i don’t its very dry?
Use a mild shampoo and a good conditioner that won’t weigh hair down yet condition it. You must keep off from any heat -styling tools to prevent hair from further drying.. Regular deep conditioning of the hair at a hair studio can give it a healthier bounce and shine. Use good detangling products and wide -toothed comb for the hair . Avoid frequent blow drying of hair. Try towel drying as far as possible. A warm coconut oil massage about 2 hours before a shampoo would be good to maintain a balance between your oily & dry scalp condition.
If you have a query for Dr. Jaishree, send it to us at email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Dermatology FAQ` in the subject line. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.