Dermatology Q&A: Hot vs. cold water for your skin
Dr. Aparna Santhanam, consultant dermatologist, answers readers’ questions on Dermatology. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Friday.
This week’s answers:
1. I have the problem of scaling of skin and itching around fingers, elbows and knee . The skin has become black and sometimes the skin gets so rough and it peels off and it bleeds as well. I have consulted many dermatologists and they have suggested expensive creams but no effect it reoccurs everytime. Kindly suggest some solution. Thanks
It sounds like you have a mild variant of atopic dermatitis, a form of eczema. You need to moisturise the skin really well .You need prescription steroid creams and some oral omega 3 to keep this under control. But the most important thing is to use a very good moisturiser like a coconut oil based moisturiser.
2. i m just 17,ma hairs r wavy 4m past 6month i ave xcess f hairfall m v.scard dat in no tym ill b bald..ma hairs r dry n ave spiltends also….plsssssssssss can u help me…i ave been usin sesa oil 2 prevent hairfall
Use a specially enriched coconut oil meant for hair fall thrice a week. Eat plenty of protein like eggs, nuts and soya .see a dermatologist to get a prescription for a multivitamin with Biotin and take it for 3 months.
3. I am 27 yrs old. I m working as a civil engineer in gulf. Now for the past 3 months i found pores in some areas of my face between the square area of eyes and mouth. Doctor suggested to use moisturizer. I used for 1 month but no improvement. Sometimes my face is looking dull and aged. Please suggest me.
Large pores are the earliest signs of aging in the face, You need to start using a sunscreen with an spf of at least 30 regularly. Use a night cream with retinoids and vitamin C for an anti aging effect, although the pores may need procedures like chemical peels or photo facials.
4. Since winter is just coming to an end and summers are starting, I have a question regarding the skin care regime that I follow. Should I stop moisturizing my skin or should I continue through the summer? My friends have said that moistirizing through summer is annoying as your skin becomes sticky but I feel I need moisturization throughout. Advise please.
It really depends on your skin type. If your skin type is oily, you can use a moisturiser only on areas like elbows, knees ,hands and feet. If your skin type is normal to dry, use it all areas but use a lightweight moisturiser with a water base and a matt finish.
5. I have been told that you should not use hot water to wash my face n my hair. If this true? Should I use only cold water or is warm water okay? What are the harms of using hot water on my skin n hair?
Hot water makes the skin sensitive. You can use it on hair for the shampoo wash but for the last wash use cold to lock in the moisture and conditioning into the hair.
Send in your questions on dermatology to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include ` Dermatology FAQ` in the subject line.