Dermatology Q&A: How to treat oily skin
Dr. Jaishree, Medical Director of Skinfiniti Aesthetic Skin and Laser Clinic, answers readers’ questions on skin care. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.
This week’s answers:
1. From last 3 years i have itch in my head and hair is falling also and pimple also in my head and where is pimple after that place hair is not coming and place is slipy plz give the advice.
Thanks A . kumar
Use a 2% ketoconazole based shampoo twice a week. You seem to be having folliculitis which is a bacterial infection of the hair follicle. You would need to take a course of antibiotics. Make sure your combs is cleaned in hot water. Do not use hair sprays,mousee,gels. Have aa high protein diet to prevent hairfall.
2. Dear Doctor, I am 40 years old.Since 32 my hair started becoming white and now almost 70% turned to white.
Take supplements of calcium pantothenate and biotin daily to delay the process of greying. Avoid smoking and stress. You may use a hair colour for The hair that have already turned white.
3. I have not yet started applying hair dye or tested it for reaction. Please advice any colouring agent other than chemical items (if available) which does not have side effects (even though it is slightly costlier).
Use ammonia free hair colours available in the market. Colour when mixed in the right proportions will not lead to side effects unless you are allergic to it.
4. Dear Madam, I am 28 yrs old . Please give me a suggestion to avoid baldness.
High protein diet, biotin and iron supplements and a healthy dietary regime is important to prevent balding. Avoid heat treatments such as straightening, ironing, blow drying..Do a warm coconut oil massage twice a week. Avoid stress factors.
4. I have problem in hair..my hair is falling so much..gime me any good suggestion.
Low hemoglobin, stress, dieting, any illness, thyroid disorder are all causes of hairfall. Certain chemical hair treatments can also cause hair fall. Do not go for any starvation diets in order to lose weight or remain slim. Your diet should be rich in proteins. Whole wheat, cereals, sprouts, egg white, lean meat, milk, soya are rich in proteins. You must include them in your diet. Take a vitamin supplement which has biotin everyday. Check your hemoglobin. If it is low, you will need an iron supplement. You must also do your thyroid tests ie T3,T4,TSH.If these levels are abnormal, consult an endocrinologist . It is also important to do a hormonal test if your menstrual cycles are irregular. You can apply 1ml of minoxidil 2% solution on your scalp twice a day.Use a mild shampoo and conditioner twice a week. If this doesn’t help, you must consult a dermatologist.
5. After pregnancy my hairs arefalling rapidly and i was also had some stress so please…..advice me a home treatment to prevent hairfall…
Hair fall post pregnancy is called telogen effluvium and is common. Take iron, calcium, biotin and protein supplements for 6 months.
6. Dear Mam,My self Isha Mehta, I am working in compancy, & goning on job by bus, please give me a Suggestion how to protect my hair my hair quality is very weak my hair growth is high but thikness of hair is very low.
Indulge and pamper your hair – A hot coconut oil massage works wonders as a conditioner and provides the necessary nourishment & moisture to your scalp and hair. It is recommended to oil your hair at least 2 hours before you wash your hair (at least thrice a week) to regain the moisture.
7. ma,am…my skin is too oily, i am a office going person within 15 min my skin get so sticky and dis all is fue to sweat…do tell me how to lighten the spots and get my skin rid from oil and sweat…
Hi Molly, the excessive production of sebum (oil) by the sebaceous glands present on the skin leads to an oily skin type. Use a salicylic acid based face wash to reduce the oiliness. You may also use a toner after washing your face. A toner cleanses the plugs that are formed by the accumulation of sebum, dead skin cells and bacteria, so that the oil can flow freely and the pore doesn’t dilate. Regular exfoliating can help keep the pores deep cleansed. You may use tretinoin 0.25% cream on alternate night , this will reduce your spots and the oiliness. Alternately,you could also do glycolic and mandelic acid peels once in a fortnight.
8. Hi doc , I m 36 how to lift up my cheeks
The best thing for you would be to take filler injections to make augment your cheeks. You should go in for semi permanent fillers made of hyaluronic acid. The filler substance is injected beneath the surface of the skin to plump it up and give it a youthful appearance. The effect lasts for 6-8 months. There is some swelling and redness immediately after the injection which subsides after a few hours. It is extremely safe and there is no downtime or surgery involved. The results are seen in just a day.
If you have a query for Dr. Jaishree, send it to us at firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Dermatology FAQ` in the subject line. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.