Dermatology Q&A: Treating severe dandruff

Dr. Shefali Trasi is a M.B.B.S., MD ( dermatology, leprology and venerology). She has 3 years of PG training in dermatology, venerology and leprology. She practices at Dr. Trasi’s Clinic. She is also attached to Ramakrishna mission hospital, Khar and B.C.J General hospital, Santacruz West. She is a member of the European Academy Of Dermatology and American Academy Of Dermatology.

Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Fortnight.

Dear Madam,

This mail is with reference to hair fall and dandruff problem.In 2011 , second half of the year my temple area hair started receding also my hair density started decreasing on top of course i use to remove my dandruff using finger nails which may be the cause.So i went to a dermatologist to check it out.She gave me Mintop along with some salicylic acid shampoo. After consulting checking on website i stopped using Mintop since it is very dangerous itseems and should be used continuously.From that day onwards i started getting very severe dandruff.I used Baba ramdev oil and shampoo for a long time but my dandruff problem was never solved.My hair line started receding continuously ana now i have thin hair.Its not that my hair  has totally gone but yes it has decreased its density.For last 3-4 months i have started using Baba ramdev shampoo everyday along with Head and shoulders only when dandruff is too much.Also recently i am using kesh raksha oil everyday along with Deno anti dandruff oil.I do maintain a proper diet.I have no history of hairfall from mothers as well fathers side.Please suggest.

Anmol Verlekar

The kind of dandruff that you are explaining me is little severe. I would like to advice you to consult a dermatologist for your dandruff scalp problem. It might be sebopsoriasis or seborrhic dermatitis for which a proper medication is required. Your hair fall will continue till your dandruff doesn’t get cured.

hi, i am nisha and i am 25 years old my skin colour is day by day dark. before 1 year my colour glow and my skin shiny now at this time my skin dull and dark , so plz give me advice, what is can do my skin colour glow

Nisha Kumari

Your dark colour could be due to many reason like sun, dryness, pigmentation etc. The cause of dullness should be known. I would advice you to consult a dermatologist . Only cream wont help you to get glow. I would suggest you to get some chemical peels done to get glow.

My hair are too thin.Dere’s no volume in them nd they bcum too fizzy in monsoons and summers.Plz suggest me wat shud I do it cud b ny natural therapy as well.

Thankyou 🙂
Aakriti S

You start taking biotin supplements daily for your hair. Eat 5 badam daily. Check you Hemoglobin and if it’s low take iron supplements.

I have a problem with whiteheads appearing on my nose for about 3 years for which i have done every possible allopathic treatment but that doesn’t work and problem is goes on increasing so please help me

Rajesh Kumar

You should do use Benzoyl peroxide 2.5% cream for your blackheads. Along with proper clean ups and fruit pels should be done after consulting a dermatologist.

Hi ,

I am suffering from jockey ringworms, I had consulted with many doctors but it is temperorily showing the results and again after few days it is continuing.I was using Zimig 250mg daily one tablet and applying Zimig cream over there but still my problem has not been rectified.Also the area over there became very there any Laser treatment for this? I feel very awkward , in a few days i am going to marry so please suggest me as i dont have much time.

sridhar rangu

As your complains are suggestive of recurrent tinea cruris, your should get your diabetes test done and wear cotton formal wears. Do not wear jeans. Check properly that your clothes are dry before wearing . It should not be wet. Consult your dermatologist and take full one and half month medications for fungal infection. Use daily antifungal powder after bath to prevent its recurrence.

Dear Mam,

I have a problem of stretch marks on my knees since school time. Now it is not possible to wear all the fascinating dresses. Is there any way it can be cured.

Anushka Chauhan

Now-a- day’s treatment for stretch marks is available. We can reduce it by derma roller treatment or some laser treatment. You may require few treatments to lighten it.

Dear Sir/ Mam,

Nowadays i often get Dandruff, once i go to the doctor it clears for 6 months then it comes once again, give me a home remedy, to reduce, hair fall is also there, i am 31 years old.only in the upper head i have dandruff, not above the neck, i feel like itching sometime, can i use sikkakai are shampoo towash my hair. I was using Johnson Baby Shampoo for more than 6year, just now i have stopped due to dandruff, can i continue the same or suggest me.Density of my hair has lost, is there possibility to increase the density

Thanks & Regards,

if You have dandruff, use medicated anti dandruff shampoo. Dandruff may cause hair fall and stress and illness. Low hemoglobin level, reduced vitamin ____—– level in blood may cause hair fall. You need to consult a dermatologist to know the reason of hair fall and accordingly doctor can suggest a treatment to stop hair fall and increase hair growth.

Hi Doc,

I am a 23 old year male suffering from so common pimples and zits.My query is regarding the chances for removal of those angular and deep ditches and scars left on cheeks by chronic pimples.Is there any remedy or surgery available to either reduce or eliminate those permanent scars?

i’m very curious to know as it’s been sometimes quite embarrassing to watch thyself into the mirror. Please guide me with this.

Thanks & Regards
Abhinav Kumar
New Delhi

We can reduce your scars by variety of treatments like subscission, dermarollers and lasers. You might require combination of more than 1 treatment modality.

Dear Dr.

I have dark patches on my face.Somebody told me that is due to inner disease. By taking lots of water and Folic acid and Vitamins capsules can help in curing this.How can i get rid from this problem very soon… Plz suggest me

Age – 31

If you have dark patches on face, firstly doctor need to diagnose exactly what is the reason for your dark patches. Accordingly doctor can treatment. You need to apply good SPF sunscreen. only folic acid and vitamin capsules will not help you. You need something to apply locally on your face and some mix match treatment of chemical peeling or laser.

If you have a query for Dr. Shefali Trasi, send it to us at now! And don’t forget to include `Dermatology FAQ` in the subject line. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every fortnight.