Eating healthy prevents heart disease in diabetics
The World Kidney Day 2011 Campaign focuses on the important link between Chronic Kidney Disease and Cardiovascular Disease and the fact that Chronic Kidney Disease is a major risk for Cardiovascular Disease. The theme for this year’s campaign is Protect Your Kidneys and Save Your Heart.
9 tips to prevent heart disease in diabetic patients
· Exercise for 30 minutes at least 4 days a week. Consult your doctor before starting an exercise program.
· Eat a healthy diet – rich in vegetables, fruits and low in fat.
· Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol.
· Avoid or minimize stress.
· Practice yoga for the dual benefit of increasing physical activity and reducing stress.
· Control blood sugar with target of achieving HbA1c < 7 %.
· Control blood pressure (ideal BP < 130/80 mmHg).
· Take ECG, ECHO, treadmill tests at appropriate intervals.
· Cholesterol lowering agents, anti-hypertensive agents must be taken as per doctor’s advice.
Text: Dr. Syed Abu Tahir, Consultant Diabetologist and Physician, www.mvdiabetes.com
Image: Flickr/creativecommons Andyrob