Fitness Q&A: Abdominal toning exercises
Fitness expert, Namita Jain answers readers’ questions on fitness. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Thursday.
This week’s answers:
1. I am Hone Sharma height of 5′.7″ and my weight is around 69.500 kg. I tries to walk normaly one hour to one hour 20 minutes daily. first km in 30 minutes and rest average speed but after that i m not reducing my weigh even a gram infact the true is i m putting on around 5 kg in a year. Can you please help me to reduce my weight?
I suggest that you get your thyroid levels checked, sometimes weight gain could be due to hypothyroidism.
2. Hi Namita, please suggest exercise to tone my tummy. I am 36 with 23 BMI but flabby stomach.
Abdominal toning exercises
Lie on your back with your knees bent, and your hands behind your head. Lift your shoulders off the floor and curl your legs towards your ribcage; simultaneously. Slowly, return to starting position.
Do 2 sets of 12 reps.
Lie on your back and lift and bend your knees at 90-degrees. Contract your abs to stabilize your torso, and bring your hips and knees towards your chest. Slowly return to starting position.
Do 2 sets of 12 reps.
Lie on your stomach and place your hands on your lower back. Lift your upper body off the floor; keep your eyes on the floor and your chin in a relaxed position. Slowly return to starting position.
Do 1 set of 10 reps.
3. dear namita, I have read that it is good to eat low salt to avoid weight gain. But how low is safe – I use about 1 to 1&1/2 tsp in my cooking daily. Please help.
1 teaspoon of salt, which equals 6 grams of salt or 2300mg of sodium, is recommended per day.
4. I am 42, going through my menopause. Are strength-training exercises safe for me?
Yes, strength exercises are good and they will improve bone density. However, please consult your physician to check your bone density levels and suggest recommendations, if any. Also, make sure you consult a qualified trainer so that you learn the exercises with correct technique.
5. I am 5 feet 8 and weigh 85 kgs. I am now 38 yrs old. I swim for 1 hour daily but am not losing weight. What are the workouts which burn most calories?
Swimming is an excellent cardiovascular exercise, it is safe and effective. I suggest you should watch your diet to lose weight.
Calories burned: 400 an hour.
Send in your questions on fitness to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Fitness FAQ` in the subject line.