Fitness Q&A: Eat high water content foods to lose weight
Fitness expert, Namita Jain answers readers’ questions on fitness. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Thursday.
This week’s answers:
1. Dear namita, my teenage kids love to munch on almonds and cashew as snacks. is it safe to let them eat a handful daly?
Yes, a handful is fine. Excess consumption can cause undue weight gain.
2. hi. i am 54 yr old working lady. i am travelling by bus to work and back. i have gained weight about 5 kgs in last year. how to reduce this? i dont have much time for exrecise.
You must walk 1 hour everyday to lose weight. Drink at least eight glasses of water a day. Also eat high water content foods that will help you lose weight. Examples are watermelon, oranges, pineapples, tomatoes, and cucumber. Consume low fat, healthy foods. Eat egg white instead of the whole egg. Whole-grain, instead of refined products. Low-fat instead of full fat. Did you know? Skim milk gets 5 percent of its calories from fat, while whole milk gets 51 percent from fat.
3. hello namita. pl advice if diabetes can be treated with enough exercise. i am borderline diabetic, 32 yrs old wt 65 kgs and ht 5 feet1.
Walk daily for I hour and keep your weight in control to control diabetes. In addition, follow your doctors’ prescription for medication.
4. hii have sagging muscles in my arms. what can i do to tone them?
Exercises for arms:
Bicep curls (2 sets, 12 reps)
This exercise strengthens the front of the arms, the bicep muscles.
Sit or stand tall. Hold weights in your palms, bend your elbows slowly tensing the bicep muscles as you lift up, and then lower down,
Overhead tricep extension (2 sets, 12 reps)
This exercise strengthens the back of the arms, the tricep muscles.
Stand tall. Hold one weight in both your palms, arms are extended overhead.
Bend your elbows, lowering the weight behind your head, and then extend up again.
5. dear madam. i am 48 yrs old, hyperthyroid and overweight under medication. is there any exercise to reduce thyroid level?
There is no single exercise can will reduce thyroid. To control your condition follow your doctors’ advice. The key to staying fit is intake of medication as recommended, regular walking and yoga practice, and healthy eating habits.
Send in your questions on fitness to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Fitness FAQ` in the subject line.