Fitness Q&A: What’s a sound weight loss plan?
Fitness expert, Namita Jain answers readers’ questions on fitness. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Thursday.
This week’s answers:
1. I do brisk walking 40 minutes daily and cover 5 kms…… How much weight will i reduce in one month??? Plz tell…
You will burn a maximum of 300 calories per walking session. To reduce weight you need to watch your diet (calorie consumption) as well as exercise regularly.
Remember, to lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit. Weight loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week is safe. To lose 1 pound a week you need to cut back on 500 calories a day. That is a total of 3500 calories a week. The best way to achieve this is by reducing your calorie intake and increasing calorie expenditure through exercise.
2. I sri Ajaya Kumar Nayak, Age 32, but one thing 18 yers ols truly seen 18 yers & fat no tall, hight 4.5 Inch, So i am vary short, please some points of view in technique & mail to us
3. I am 26 yr old..my weight is 99kg ,,i tried many thing for weight loss but i m unable to reduce weight.i m a patient of hypo
thiroid..please please help me…how can i reduce my weight easily and quicky…i m a married woman and want a baby ,,
(same answer for q 2 and 3)
Diet plus exercise is the ideal way to lose weight. When you plan your meals, look at the caloric content and body’s nutritional requirement simultaneously. The body needs nutrients from various food groups. The food you consume should include calories from proteins, carbohydrates, fats, vitamins and minerals. A sound weight-loss program should include –
Decreased fat consumption
An active lifestyle
Consistent, sensible eating and exercise habits
4. What should be the duration of gap to eat or drink anything after exercising or performing yoga?
You can eat immediately (you do not need to wait) after exercise or yoga. It is important to maintain a 2 to 3 hour gap before exercising, but not after.
5. Hi Namita, my weight is constant at 60 kgs from last 1 year . i am 32yrs / 165cm and want to gain weight, i eat a balanced diet but still i am unable to gain weight. Pl give suggestions..
Many people have trouble gaining weight. It is not a good idea to eat mega-meals at fast food joints or high- in- fat foods to gain weight. An effort like this will increase your body fat, putting you at risk for health problems. Rather work on improving the quality of your diet. Focus on eating healthy, growing strong and staying fit. Try eating five to six small healthy meals per day.
Include 2 to 3 servings of fruits and vegetables in the day. Drink juice and smoothies made with milk, nuts and fresh fruit. Snack on dried fruit and banana and high-fiber savories.
Fit tip: Protein and carb combo snacks are great energy providers. Such as a piece of whole grain cracker and yogurt; a piece of toasted whole grain bread with an egg; or a cottage cheese sandwich.
Send in your questions on fitness to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Fitness FAQ` in the subject line.