Good health with onion
Onion is known as Phalandu in Sanskrit. Its medicinal and physical properties are explained in Ayurvedic texts.
Onions help to reduce pain, inflammation and conditions like erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, low libido, low sperm count and low sperm motility.
Ayurveda acharyas have explained the uses of onion in various health conditions and have classified onions based on their colours. “Rakta phalandu” (Red coloured onion) and “shweta phalandu” (white coloured onion) are two varieties of onions.
The medicinal uses of onion are as follows:
1. Onion normalizes vata and increases kapha and pitta. Hence, it is used in diseases which occur due to vitiation of vata. It is anti inflammatory and reduces pain. Ayurvedic texts recommend its use in sciatica, arthritis and other diseases which involve bones, joints and the peripheral nervous system.
2. The poultice of onion and other herbs help to reduce swelling and pain in joints and hard abscess.
3. Application of onion juice is recommended in pigments and dark spots which appear on face.
4. The use of onion juice is recommended in ear pain and blurred vision.
5. Onion helps to rejuvenate liver, normalizes digestion, relieves constipation and increases appetite. Hence, it is very beneficial in treating piles (hemorrhoids) , constipation, jaundice and indigestion.
6. White onions are recommended in bleeding disorders. Hence, it is used in conditions like bleeding piles and bleeding through nose.
7. Onions are used in home remedies to reduce cough.
8. Onion and its seeds are known to help cure erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation and male infertility. It helps to increase libido, quality and quantity of semen.
9. It helps to reduce itching of skin.
As onions increase rajas and tamas of mind, it masks your analyzing capacity, intelligence and grasping power.