Health recipe of the day: Chicken almond soup
Vitamin E protects against heart disease, slows the aging process, promotes prostate health and boosts brain power. Nuts like almonds are rich in Vitamin E. Snack on them or add them to your curries to make your meal healthy.
Here’s an almond chicken soup you’ll relish on a cold day.
750 ml – hot chicken stock
1/2 tsp – turmeric
175 gms – chicken breast, cut into pieces
25 gms – ground almonds
25 gms – white bread crust, removed and cubed
Salt and pepper
1/2 tsp – nutmeg
1 tsp – lemon juice
2 egg yolks
750 ml – milk
100 ml – single cream
To garnish: flaked almonds, roasted
- Place the stock, turmeric and chicken in a large casserole, cover and cook on microwave HIGH for 10 mins.
- Add the almonds and bread, re-cover and cook on MEDIUM for 5 mins. Place in a food processor or blender and puree. Return to the cleaned casserole.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, nutmeg and lemon juice.
- Beat the egg yolks, milk and cream together and stir into the hot soup. Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 mins. or until thickened, stirring 2-4 times. Do not boil as it will curdle.
- Serve in individual soup cups decorated with almonds.