Recipe of the day: Healthy Halwa
Festive season is here and needless to say, Diwali would be incomplete without sweets! Here is a healthy version of the famous Indian sweet ‘Halwa’ with pineapples, carrots, jaggery and semolina. Let’s celebrate Diwali the healthy, guilt-free way!
1 cup – Pineapple chunks
2 cups – Milk
2 – Carrots (medium)
1 cup – semolina (Bombay rava)
3/4 cup – powdered Jaggery or Brown sugar
1/2 cup – Ghee
4 – Cardamoms (seed powdered)
10 – cashews
- Wash and cut the carrots.
- Add 1/8 cup water to carrots and pressure cook.
- Blend pineapples chunks and cooked carrots in a blender to a smooth paste. Keep aside
- Add half of the ghee and fry semolina until it gives out a nice aroma, keep it aside.
- Heat the remaining ghee (keep 1 tsp aside to fry cashews).
- Add pineapple-carrot paste and cook until it is almost dry (about 20 minutes on medium fire).
- Keep the milk to boil and when milk starts to boil, add semolina slowly stirring all the while so that lumps are not formed.
- Cover it and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then add pineapple carrot paste and jaggery.
- Mix well and cook until the mixture forms a soft ball.
- Add powdered cardamom and transfer to a serving plate.
- Decorate with cashews fried in ghee.
Recipe and image source: bawarchi.com