Health recipe of the day: Soothing khichdi
What comes to the top of your mind when you are running a fever and long for some comforting, nutritious food? You bet it’s the wholesome khichdi. And this one from Ranjeeta Singh is fortified with vegetables. Go for it!
1cup toor daal (washed)
1/4cup moong daal – without the skin (washed)
3cup vegetables (all or combination of beans, carrots, peas, eggplant, cauliflower, potatoes)
2 tbsp bottled tamarind sauce or juice of fresh tamarind
1tsp ginger powder
1/4 tsp allspice
1 tsp turmeric (more depending on your desired color)
1 tsp chilli powder
3 sticks 1″ cinnamon sticks
2 bay leaves
3 red dried chillies (substitute with fresh green chillies if needed)
1/4cup regular or green onion
oil to saute vegetables
salt to taste
- Chop vegetables into 1″ pieces so that they won’t get mashed.
- On medium heat, in a medium sized pot fill with water covering 3/4 the volume of the pot.
- Put in both daal, tamarind, turmeric and salt and cook for 15 min
- Then add rice and let cook until both daal and rice look 98% done.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan on medium heat, place some oil.
- In heated oil, place the chillies, cinnamon sticks, and bay leaves and let splutter for about 10 seconds (make sure it doesn’t burn)
- Add onions and let it brown lightly
- Add vegetables and chilli powder and saute until half done (approx. 10 minutes).
- Transfer the veggies into the 98% done daal and rice mixture and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Turn off flame.
- Add ginger powder and allspice and cover for 5 minutes.
- Remove lid and let settle for a bit before serving.