Health recipe of the day: Wood apple rice
The wood apple or bael is useful in treating a number of conditions like diarrhea, dysentery, dyspepsia, stomatitis, vomiting, fever, swellings and gastric irritation. Here’s a tasty recipe from Hari Chandana that you can try.
How to make wood apple rice
1 – wood apple/elephant apple
2 cups – cooked rice
1 tbsp – peanuts
1 tsp – mustard seeds
1 tsp – chana dal
1 tsp – urad dal
1/2 tsp – turmeric powder
3-4 – green chillies
3 – dried red chillies
1 sprig – curry leaves
1/8 tsp – asafoetida
Salt to taste
2 tbsp – oil
- Break the wood apple and scoop out the pulp.
- In a pan, cover the wood apple pulp with water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Switch off the heat and after it cools grind into a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal and peanuts.
- Once they start to splutter, add the slit green chillies, red chillies, curry leaves and hing and fry for a minute.
- Then add the turmeric powder and wood apple paste and fry for a couple of minutes.
- Switch off the flame and add the cooked rice and salt.
- Combine well and serve.
Recipe and image courtesy: Indian cuisine