Health recipe: Snake gourd fry
Snake gourd is a low calorie vegetable which is rich in magnesium, calcium and phosphorous. It is an ideal vegetable for dieters and diabetics. This simple stir fry laced with grated coconut makes a great side dish.
2 – snake gourd, medium in length
1 tbsp – moong dal/paasi paruppu
3-4 tbsp – coconut
Salt as needed
1 – onion
1-2 tsp – oil
3/4 tsp – mustard
1 tsp – urad dal/Ulutham paruppu
2 – red chillies
1 sprig – curry leaves
- Scrap the skin of the snake gourd slightly to remove the snowy skin.
- You can skip this step, do only if desired.
- Cut the snake gourd into tubes and halve the tubes vertically.
- Remove the soft, centre portion with a cutlery knife and wash the snake gourd.
- Stack two or three pieces and slice the snake gourd into thin crescents.
- Chop the onions finely,keep aside.
- Mix the cut snake gourd with salt and moong dal in a big plate and keep it in a slanting way to let the excess water drain.
- Keep aside for 10-15 minutes, water will ooze out of the mixture.
- Squeeze out the excess water, you will get a lot of water. Keep aside.
- Heat kadai with oil and temper with the items given under `To temper`.
- Add the chopped onions and fry till transparent.
- Add the snake gourd and fry for a minute and press it lightly and cook covered for 4 minutes (stirring in between)
- Mix in the coconut and stir well for a minute and transfer to the serving dish.
Recipe courtesy: Rak’s Kitchen