Monsoon Hair Care: Five tips to get rid of Dandruff
Hair care during monsoon becomes a herculean task and one of the most common woes during the rainy season is dandruff. From using a diet low in sugar and high in antioxidants to opting for light conditioner can help in getting rid of such problems, says an expert.
Sangeeta Velaskar, vice president and head, Medical Services and R&D, Kaya India has a few tips to help control dandruff:
* Use an effective anti-dandruff shampoo specially formulated with active ingredients such as zinc pyrithione or piroctone olamine, which control the fungus and yeasts. Such a shampoo can be used as often as required — once, twice or even thrice weekly. Combine it with a mild conditioner formulated for greasy hair.
* It is important to keep the scalp dry. In case your hair gets wet in the rain, make sure you wash it thoroughly with a mild cleanser and use a conditioner thereafter. Remember to dry your hair completely before leaving the house.
* If you have sticky hair, just opt for a light conditioner that is suited for limp and oily hair. The trick is to pick the right product. The conditioner should be applied to the hair ends and not on the scalp. Application on the scalp may increase dandruff, especially during monsoon.
* Recognise your severity. If you are suffering more than moderate flaking and itching, be sure to find the right product. There are products that include intensive solutions targeted at severe dandruff sufferers. Do visit a dermatologist if the problem persists.
* A diet low in sugar and high in antioxidants will reduce inflammation and could help in controlling dandruff.
Image: Getty Images