Nutrition diet for cancer patients
Nutrition is an important part of cancer treatment. The nutrient needs of people with cancer vary from person to person. Eating well means eating a variety of foods that will give your body the nutrients needed to help fight cancer.
It’s important to eat extra calories and proteins to keep you strength up during treatment.Chemotherapy, radiation, and other cancer treatments can be hard on your body, hence making healthy food choices can help you feel better and speed up your recovery.
Choose Healthy Foods like whole grains, pasteurized 100% fruit or vegetable juices, lean meat like fish & chicken, dried fruits. Limit the intake of red meat, processed foods and sugary foods which has lots of calories but very little nutrients.
Lack of appetite is common during cancer treatment. Some treatments can even make food taste unpleasant. Even though you don’t feel like eating, it’s important to get adequate nutrition. Choose high-calorie, nutrient-rich foods such as nuts, beans, puddings, and cooked cereals. Eat small meals throughout your day; don’t wait till you feel hunger.
Some cancer treatments temporarily weaken your immune system. So it’s important to avoid germs that you can pick up from food. Contaminated food can make you ill.
- Keep all perishable foods in the fridge until you’re ready to prepare them.
- Cook all your meats until they’re well done.
- Avoid eating half cooked or soft boiled eggs.
- Check expiry dates to avoid food spoilage, and throw away any moldy foods.
- Prepare your food on surfaces that are cleaned with soapy, hot water.
- Use a separate cutting board for raw meat, fish, or poultry. Wash it thoroughly after each use.
- Scrub and rinse fruits and vegetables thoroughly. Don’t eat any fruits or vegetables that you can’t wash easily, such as berries, grapes, etc. Scrub the outsides, even if you don’t eat them, like the rind of a melon.
Dr. Fatima Radhanpurwala
Dietician, Wockhardt hospital, Mumbai
Dr. Fatima Radhanpurwala is a Senior Dietician at Sterling Wockhardt Hospital, Mumbai. She has actively participated as consultant dietician in a camp organised by Saifee Ambulance at Kandivali and given lectures on “Balanced diet” in Sula Wines Company.
She has also been a Consultant Dietitian in camps organized by Wockhardt hospital at Dhirubhai Ambani Knowledge center, Koparkhairne. She has conducted various lectures on nutrition for children, healthy ageing, nutrition in cancer, lifestyle management and weight loss.