Nutrition Q&A: Diet for heart health
Nutrition and Dietetics expert, Parvathy Radhakrishnan answers readers’ questions on nutrition. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Wednesday.
This week’s answers:
1. I would like to know the amount of almonds which should be taken daily and if these shd be soaked overnight in water and then deskinned and eaten. I am already taking 4 almonds daily soaked and deskinned
You can have 5 to 10 almonds a day. If you are a sportsperson you can have upto an ounce. You can take it unsoaked and unskinned.
2. How much almonds should one consume if has diabetes and if not?
You can consume about 5 to 10 almonds a day if you are diabetic depending on your caloric intake.
3. dear mam, i have small white marks on my nails which i think is vitamin difficiency. pl suggest what foods to eat to remove these.
White spots on nails could most probably be due to fungal infection and not deficiency. It is suggested that mild zinc deficiency may cause white marks on nails. Zinc is found in nuts, seeds, fish, meat, dairy and wheat germ..
4. hi parvathy, my son has a bad smelling bowels. what can i give him to set it allright.
Make sure he drinks enough water and eats fruits and vegetables daily. Restrict fast foods. You have not mentioned your son’s age. It is good to make a visit to the pediatrician/gastroenterologist to rule out medical reasons for this condition.
5. hello madam. is there any specific diet for arrhythmia? i am already on a low fat, low salt diet and taking bp medication.
You may continue your low fat low salt diet. Make sure you eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Omega 3 , DHA and EPA derived from fish is considered cardioprotective and shown to be antiarrhythmia. So include fatty fishes in your daily diet.
Apart from this, restrict alcohol and caffeine and exercise daily to maintain healthy weight.
Send in your questions on nutrition to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Nutrition FAQ` in the subject line.