Nutrition Q&A: Foods that improve memory
Nutrition and Dietetics expert, Parvathy Radhakrishnan answers readers’ questions on nutrition. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Wednesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Dear Parvathy, it is very nice to read Q/A of reader and your valuable reply. Can you reply for weight gain food (not junk food ) for student.
To gain weight you need to eat foods which in smaller quantities will give relatively higher calories. Therefore include whole milk, milk sweets, nuts, olives, fruit juices, fruits like banana and grapes. Include enough protein foods like eggs, fish/chicken. Include small snacks like a slice of bread with peanut butter or cheese, a glass of milk with Ensure or home made banana milk shake between meals and at bedtime. Small inclusions with frequently will increase total caloric intake.
You can add a nutrition supplement like Ensure, which will increase calories further.
2. Dear Madam, with my son’s exams approaching, I’d like to know is there any diet specific to improving memory and concentration.
Firstly avoid soft drinks, junk foods, highly sugared drinks, excessive eating of rice and bread and oily snacks.
Secondly include foods that contain
· Omega 3 like fish, nuts, seeds, olive oil, green leafy vegetables
· Choline like nuts, milk, eggs, fatty fish
· Iron like green leafy vegetables, whole grains, ragi, beaten rice, lean meat
· Vitamin C and A like fresh fruits especially citrus and yellow and green vegetables.
Perhaps taking a B complex vitamin pill will also help.
Exercise helps improve memory and make sure he gets enough sleep.
3. Please maam, can tell me how to control diabetes in my 16 yr old daughter?
You will need to see a dietician at regular appointments in the clinic or hospital that your daughter gets her medication. Controlling diabetes at this teenage is difficult due to hormonal changes and will need constant monitoring and replanning of meals to manage the frequent highs and lows of blood sugar. It is imperative to your daughter’s health that you see a dietician at the earliest.
4. Hi. Im a workingwoman with severe heartburn. What can I eat or avoid to prevent this?
Avoid spicy or oily foods. Also restrict or avoid drinking too many cups of coffee. Eat meals on time, do not skip meals, avoid long gaps between meals and do not overeat at a meal.
5. How can we use cereals in Indian food in healthy way?
All the traditional Indian ways of preparing cereals is healthy.
Send in your questions on nutrition to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Nutrition FAQ` in the subject line.