Nutrition Q&A: Use a mix of oils while cooking
Nutrition and Dietetics expert, Parvathy Radhakrishnan answers readers’ questions on nutrition. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Wednesday.
This week’s answers:
1. Madam, I am 40 years old male person. My Hight is 5′.6? and Weight is 66 Kg. Since last one year I am going to Gym and I am doing Body Building Exersises daily for 90 Mnts. My diet is as under:
Morning: 1) One Banana – Before going to Gym.
2) 5 White Eggs & Milk with Protin Powder after Gym.
Lunch: Rice with Veg Curries or Fry.
Dinner: Rice, Banana and Milk with Protin Powder.
I request you to kindly suggest me that my above mentioed diet is ok or should I change some thing?.
I do not see fruits in your diet other than banana. After work out add a citrus fruit to your meal of egg whites and protein mix. Best is orange.
At dinner, have a different fruit other than banana. Also vary your carbs. For instance have phulka rotis or whole grain pasta at dinner time.
Add green salads.
I assume your food is not oily or fried since a lot of oil/fat in the diet will undo whatever you do at the gym.
Drink lots of water throughout the day.
2. Hi i am diet i take only tea and i skip my lunch then i do 15 minutes of aerobics and then 25 minutes of brisk walk and at dinner i take one n half roti with daal..how fast will i loose weight
This is not a diet. This is starvation. With this kind of eating you will reduce your weight, your hair, reduce bone strength, become anemic, and generally feel and look miserable. Please eat properly a balanced low fat high fibre diet and then we will talk about reducing weight.
3. Its using New Saffola Gold Blended Edible Vegetable Oil recommaded?|
It is a blend of safflower and rice bran oils and may be recommended for use in cooking. But best is to switch oils and to use 2 kinds daily. For example, use saffola and mustard. Choose any brand that labels as trans fat acid free.
4. Hi Madam, I am 45 yrs old. Height 1.6 m, weight is 88kgs. I suffer from hypothyroidism and I’m currently on .1mg + .05mg Eltroxin / day. I also take ayurvedic medication for eczema. I exercise 30 minutes a day and I don’t eat any products with white flour. I am struggling to bring the weight down. Please send me a healthy eating plan also take into account the eczema.
I need further details to give you a planned diet. Do you mean you do not eat flour with gluten when you say white flour? Please send me some detail of your eating pattern, habits and allergy so I can correct your eating.
30 minutes of exercise may not be enough. Increase gradually to one hour every day done at a stretch or split.
You are definitely in need to reduce weight. Meanwhile, do read my article Hypothyroidism? How to lose weight which will help you.
Send in your questions on nutrition to firstname.lastname@example.org now! And don’t forget to include `Nutrition FAQ` in the subject line. Please provide complete details of your age, sex, height, weight, location and medication if any, if a diet is required for specific ailments.