Orthopaedics Q&A: Alternatives to knee replacement surgery

Orthopaedics expert, Dr VV Prasad answers readers’ questions on bone health. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Monday.
This week’s answers:

1. Hi Doctor, my father is around 75 years, weighs around 80Kgs, and he has acute knee pain, I checked with multiple Doctors and some recommend a Knee Replacement. I understand that this surgery is complex and the post surgery is very painful. The success rates have also been mixed. What do you suggest we do in this case? My father is not comfortable getting a surgery done.
Thanks for your response.

Answer: There is another therapy called OZONE THERAPY. It’s for people who are afraid of surgeries or not physically fit for surgeries. There are calipers, which relieve the weight being loaded on to knees. They transfer the weight from thigh to ankle directly. You can try any of these.

2. Dear Doctor Prasad, Iam suffering from OSTEOARTHRITIS.I havw seen your suggestion of Heat therapy wax bath and SWD for the same.
Can you explain this in detail?

Answer: These are various modalities of physiotherapy. In all the ways mostly heat is delivered into your knees. By doing this a particular substance called ‘SUBSTANCE P’ is removed with increased blood circulation around your knee. By this you feel much lesser pain. However there will not be any change in the osteoarthritis status of joints. These are given only for pain relief.

3. Hello, I am more than 28 yrs old unmarried girl having back problem from 4 yrs while brushing and from time to time i hv gone to physiotherapy,doctor medicine but not of much effect and now from past 3-4 months i am having unique problem/bad pain in my left leg,and shoulder which makes me difficult to walk and sit for long.It pains severely and smetimes slowly also while lying idle also.I cant pay more on my medicine and trwatment more,plz tell wht to do to cure from this problem permanently.Thanks
Answer: Your story is in favour of a nerve pull in your left leg. You need to get investigated after a detailed clinical examination by an orthopaedic surgeon. You may need a MRI scan for your back to check for disc prolapse if any.

Send in your questions on orthopaedics to bawarchieditor@sify.com now! And don’t forget to include `Orthopaedics FAQ` in the subject line.