Orthopaedics Q&A: Pain after spinal fusion?

Orthopaedics expert, Dr VV Prasad answers readers’ questions on bone health. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Monday.

This week’s answers:

Dear Sir.Trust you are keeping well. I am from South Africa. I am a female of 50 years old. My recent blood test – all tests are normal. I underwent a spinal fusion in 2005. Permanent damage to S1 nerve. Since then I am experiencing numbness to my right foot. The pain is continuous however peaking at night. I was taking tramacat pain killers for more than 2 years and now feel it does not help.

Please assist.

Thanks in advance


You can consult a local doctor and take other types of pain killers. Physiotherapy can help you.Try plain paracetamol tablets.

Send in your questions on orthopaedics to bawarchieditor@sify.com now! And don’t forget to include `Orthopaedics FAQ` in the subject line.