Quick tips for summer skincare
Beat the heat this summer, maintain your beauty and keep your skin soft, supple and well-nourished with these quick summer skin care tips by Dr. Sangeeta Amladi, Head-Medical Services, Kaya Skin Clinic.
Cover your skin:
1) For Indian skin use a broad spectrum sunscreen with both UVA and UVB protection and at least SPF 15. If on vacation or outdoors, usage of sunscreen with SPF 30 is highly recommended. SPF only measures UVB protection and not UVA; hence one should look for a sunscreen that also provides UVA protection. It takes about 15-20 minutes for any sunscreen to give out complete protection, so apply it at least 20 minutes before stepping out in the sun. The product should be reapplied every 3-4 hours, if one is outdoors for long periods of time. A good sunscreen with SPF 30 effectively combats the harsh effects of the sun for up to 8 hours
2) The sun’s rays are the strongest between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. so it is advisable to limit exposure to the sun as much as possible, during these hours
3) Use sunglasses to protect your eyes. Try using an umbrella when you go out in the sun. This will protect your skin and your hair
Also read: Flaunt your beautiful skin this summer
Hair care tips:
1) Hair gets frizzy due to exposure to UV rays and excessive styling. It’s a common myth that only curly and wavy hair is at a risk of getting frizzy.
2) Make sure to leave the conditioner on for at least 5 minutes. After rinsing, gently wipe wet hair with a towel. Rub a coin-size drop of anti-frizz serum (for straight hair) or cream (for curls)
1) A cool water shower cools the body and skin temperature and retains oils and moisture in the skin. Don’t dry the skin roughly with a towel. Gently pat it dry. Do leave some moisture on the skin so that when you apply the moisturizer the skin can absorb it fully and seal it in
2) Try and catch a shower twice a day, to feel cool and refreshed