Shake off dandruff with yoga
Dandruff is a condition that causes the formation of white flakes on the scalp. It is caused due to oily skin and scalp, extreme use of shampoo, sweating, mental stress and fatigue, pollution, hormonal imbalances, unhygienic atmosphere, hereditary causes etc. Excess dandruff can cause infection, redness and spreading of pus.
Clearly, we cannot control all the reasons that cause dandruff in the hair, but we can most certainly make an effort to reduce the formation of dandruff. This can be easily done by practicing yoga poses that are good for the hair and nourish it. It is difficult to believe that yoga will help such problems, but in fact it is one of the most quickest and proficient techniques to cure hair ailments.
Some of the yoga poses that are highly beneficial for the hair are:
- Paschimottasana (Two-legged Forward bend): In this asana, the posterior portion of the whole body from head to heels is fully stretched. This will control hair fall and slow down ageing as well.
- Balayam Yoga (Rubbing nails): By doing this, the roots of the hair follicles connected to the fingernails pump energy to the scalp needed for hair growth. This can cure dandruff and premature greying of hair.
- Chakrasana (Lying-down Body twist): This pose supplies more oxygen to the scalp and slow down dandruff.
- Adho Mukha Svanasana (Downward-facing Dog pose): This pose allows more blood circulation to the brain, thus enhancing the condition of the scalp and thereby reducing dandruff.
- Sarvangasana (Shoulder stand): This pose provides relief from certain conditions such as asthma, shortness of breath and heavy breathing. Shoulder stand is better done in the early hours of the morning, as it relieves fatigue associated with little or excess sleep. Standing on the shoulders provides good sleep, when practiced in the evening.
Along with yoga, other methods like Ayurveda, which is one of the oldest, most qualified means of medicine, with its numerous herbs and treatments, like massaging the head with Aloe Vera or sesame oil, use of alfalfa, carrots and lettuce together, various concoctions like lemon juice and coconut oil, camphor and coconut oil, castor oil with mustard oil and coconut etc. help in alleviating dandruff.
Therefore, dandruff and hair problems, while being inevitable, are easy to cure with uncomplicated means like yoga, ayurveda and even other simple habits like eating healthy and avoiding oily food, meditation to avoid stress and adapting naturopathy.
Source: Art of Living