Tips to keep your skin healthy this summer
Summer is here to stay. Summer heralds the start of lazy days, long vacations and hot sun. It is the season to wear short,sleevless clothes and show skin which must be even, clear, hairfree and radiant skin.
Here are easy tips to keep your skin happy and healthy in summers:
- So it is sunny in summers, let us start with the sunscreen. It is essential to choose a good broad spectrum sunscreen which protects the skin from both UVA & UVB rays and has a SPF of 15.
- In cases of oily skin, there are multiple dermatologist recommended sweat proof, matte finish sunscreen which one can use. Consult your dermatologist for the right one appropriate for your skin.
- A sunscreen requires 15-20mins after application for it to give complete sunprotection. Apply the sunscreen atleast 30 mins before stepping out in the sun. Alongwith face don’t forget to apply the sunscreen on other exposed body areas such as arms, nape of neck, upper back & feet.
- A often repeated tip which must be adhered to is reapply your sunscreen every 3 hourly specially when one is outside throughout the day.People who stay indoors or travel by a car need to apply the sunscreen as there is some degree of photo damage even when there is no direct sun exposure on a hot, sunny day.
- Incase there is a plan for a beach or hill station holiday or outdoor travel, step up the sunprotection to SPF30.
- The sunrays are at the peak from 10am-4pm in summers. Avoid outdoor travel in these timings for preventing photodamage.
- Use sunglasses to minimise those dark circles. Add additional physical sun protection like umbrella or a broad brimmed hat to reduce the tan.
- In summers, choose clothing, which is light coloured & tightly knitted cotton clothes. This will reduce further absorption of heat, sweat and infections.
- Cleansing and toning are vital steps for a healthy skin .Use a mild, oil control pH balanced, cleansing face wash such as Sebamed cleansing foam and an alcohol free toner. Add a soft facial scrub twice a week to deep cleanse the skin.
- The common myth is moisturizer must not be used in summers. On the contrary, the strong sun rays steal the moisture from skin and gives a leathery, patchy look. So use a hyaluronic based moisturizer in a gel form that hydrates the skin without increasing the oiliness.
- Use a dermatologist prescribed Vitamin C serum, coenzyme Q10 or peptide enriched cosmeceuticals to bring down the tan and get antiaging benefits in summer.
- Besides external application care, it is necessary to internally strengthen the skin for a happy summer skin. A diet enriched with Vit A,C & E help in protecting the skin from sun and repairing sun damage. These nutrients are found in green leafy vegetables, carrots, papaya and black grapes.
- Summer is the right time to load your diet with fresh fruits, vegetables and lots of fluids. Water again must be consumed in a good amount to maintain body hydration.
- Home remedies such as aloe vera ,cucumbers and cold yoghurt help to chill and cool the skin in this hot weather.
Skin Treatments in summer:
- Laser hair reduction is the most popular treatment performed by dermatologist as it is a painfree, permanent option for getting rid of thick,unwanted hair to get a smooth, hair-free skin. With the hair gone, you can wear your favourite shorts with a smile.
- Hydrafacials is another popular treatment to have a fresh, glowing skin. In this medifacial, a combination of high speed oxygen and water is used to reduce the dead skin buildup, remove the whiteheads and black heads and nutrients are infused in the skin to get a clear, radiant skin.
- Skin boosters is the latest, popular treatment performed by dermatologists using Restylane Vital product .The skin boosters nourishes and hydrates the photo damaged skin to get a supple and soft skin. It is a lunch time service and has long lasting results.
- Chemical peels and laser facials are some other preferred treatments done in summers by dermatologist for various purposes like acne, skin impurities and blemishes.
Dr. Madhuri Agarwal
Dermatologist & Aesthetic Physician
Dr. Madhuri Agarwal is one of the leading dermatologists and aesthetic physician in the country. She is a board certified dermatologist who specialises in laser,cosmetic and surgical dermatology. Her academic qualifications include MD (Skin&VD),Sion Hospital,Mumbai University and M.D. Alternative Medicines from Indian Board of Alternative Medicines, Calcutta.
Currently she is Medical Director & CEO of Yavana Aesthetic Clinic, a complete skin and hair aesthetic centre.She is also the Chief Consultant Aesthetic and Corrective trainer for Galderma Aesthetic Academy.