Top 10 risk factors of being overweight
Why should you be lean? I will give you ten reasons why you should be at your ideal weight throughout your life. If you are already fit make sure you continue to be so. If you are not, then check out below the top ten risks that excess weight brings, that should motivate you to lose weight.
1. Heart: The bigger the body mass, the greater the strain on your heart to pump blood for circulation. As your weight increases so does your blood pressure, and risk for heart diseases and stroke. The more fat in your body, the bigger the chance of getting a heart attack.
2. Diabetes: When weight is lost there is an immediate positive effect in controlling diabetes. In both type one and two diabetes, being at your normal weight gives better sugar control. In type 2, weight loss is the first and best treatment strategy.
3. Respiration: Being overweight is a big strain on respiration. Asthmatics have lesser attacks when they lose their excess weight. Breathing is easier when literally the weight is off the chest!! Sleep apnoea is a risk of the obese. Snoring in the overweight can to an extent be effectively reduced with weight loss.
4. Joints: Our large limbs were designed to carry a normal weight for height load. When the body weight is disproportionate to height, it strains the knees that are forced to carry and move around under the weight resulting in major orthopaedic problems.
5. Skin: Obese people have more skin ailments, sweat more and also show signs of aging skin. Possibly this is related to bad eating habits like eating excess oily foods and lack of exercise.
6. Cancer: Obesity is associated with several types of cancer, according to the National Cancer Institute, causing cancers of the breast, gall bladder, thyroid, kidney, colon, rectum, pancreas, oesophagus and lining of the uterus (endometrium).
7. Psychology: Being overweight can make one depressed and create a low esteem of self. Losing weight gives a sense of achievement and the lightness of being able to move around easier and being able to dress well itself elevates one’s mood and gives you a “I like myself” attitude
8. Hormones: Female hormones can go berserk with fatness. Weight loss is important in correcting hormonal imbalance and infertility.
9. Pregnancy: Being overweight at the time of conceiving and throughout pregnancy can cause several risks for mother and child. If you are overweight at the beginning of pregnancy try not to increase too much or if you are fit at the time of conceiving then try not to get obese during the gestation period.
10. Surgery: Managing an obese person peri-operative is more risky for the anaesthetist than one of normal weight. Post operatively, the obese also run a higher risk for site infection, deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism.
All of the above or any result in a shortened life span, excessive medical expense and an uncomfortable existence. Simple, good eating habits and a physically active lifestyle practised from childhood will take you through life with minimal illness. The responsibility is worth it.
Parvathy R Krishnan
The author is a trained Nutrition & Dietetics expert with over 20 years’ of experience in hospitals like Vijaya Hospital in Chennai and the Armed Forces Hospital and New Mowasat Hospitals in Kuwait. She is presently a member of the Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India. Parvathy blogs at http://premadiet.blogspot.in/
More by this author: