Top breastfeeding benefits
Breastfeeding is the best gift a mother can give her baby. As the milk flows, so does her love. A serene mother fondly cradling her baby is one of the most beautiful sights to behold.
Breastfeeding is one of the most natural acts. And the way to go. Scientifically proven, breast milk is the ideal nourishment for your little one – manufactured and packaged by Mother Nature itself.
Breastfeeding has a range of benefits for you as well as your little one.
1. It is the simplest and most economical way to feed your baby.
2. It contains the right mix of proteins (the perfect balance of amino acids), fats, sugars, water, minerals, vitamins, enzymes and antibodies for your baby.
3. It boosts your baby’s immunity and protects him/her from infections, such as diarrhoea, respiratory and ear infections.
4. Breastfed babies show a lower incidence of diabetes, obesity and allergic conditions.
5. Breastfed babies show better cognitive development (learning skills and information processing).
6. It provides an effective birth control technique. If you are less than 6 months post delivery, are exclusively breastfeeding your baby (no top feeds including water) and haven’t yet got your period, you are 98% protected from pregnancy.
7. Breastfeeding promotes emotional bonding between you and your little one. It creates an environment closest to the womb, which comforts the baby and makes him/her feel secure.
8. Breastfeeding decreases the amount of blood loss after delivery.
9. Breastfeeding mothers find it easier to lose weight after delivery.
10. Women who have breastfed their babies have a lower risk of breast cancer than those who did not.
Dr Suman Bijlani
The author is a leading gynaecologist and obstetrician consulting at the SL Raheja Fortis and Kohinoor Hospitals
Image: Wikimedia Commons