Yoga Q&A: Practise yoga diligently to lose weight
Yoga expert, Trisha Maharaj Singh answers readers’ questions on yoga. Get your doubts cleared and see them featured on our FAQ page every Friday.
1. I am practicing yoga every day. I do Surya Namaskaram. Will this asana help me to reduce weight and increase concentration?
Yes it will but you have to be patient and diligent. Also, do the asanas slowly and make sure you breathe freely and observe yourself while doing it.
2. I was told in power yoga the room is heated up to a certain degree. Does this affect people who are advised against extreme weather conditions? What is the kind of heat that is generated? How soon is one able to reduce in power yoga?
In Power Yoga the room is not heated. Artificial heating is not good for the body as you drain out all the water from the cells and can cause dehydration and you can also loose joint fluid. This can cause arthritis. Generate your own body heat by doing Yoga in a very aligned manner. Once you refine classical yoga, you can do power yoga.
3. Mam which yoga will help control blood pressure?
Jay you should do alot of stretches. Forward bending asanas are good for high blood pressure like janu sirshasan, paschimuttanasan, uttanasan and adhomukha svanasan.
4. I am 25 years. One year back I had a girl baby, after that my stomach remains the same size. I want to reduce my tummy size. Please suggest any idea. My behind also is big in size, for this also i need suggestion. Please reply.
First of all don’t worry about it and then work on it with a sense of peace. Keep your stomach tight all the time except when you have eaten food and while sleeping. Other than that all day watch your stomach and contract the muscles. Also lie on your back and do sputa dandasan and a few leg raises – start with 5 and then go up to 15. Breathe freely and relax after that.
5. I have gone through caesarean operation before 2 years; did not use belt so my belly is in the same shape as I when I carried the baby. It did not reduce. Can you suggest me how to reduce that?
If you have recovered from the surgery 2 years ago you can safely do supta dandasan and leg raises as you lie back. Take a dupatta and tie around your waist all day long, not too tight and even keep your stomach muscles tight.
6. I am 30 year old and I am working in IT industries. I am not able to concentrate on my work and every time something running in my mind. I am not able to sleep deeply. Please suggest me any Yoga for concentration on my work..
Stress is a part of your kind of work. Try and relax by going for a 10-minute early morning walk in nature. Nature absorbs your stress. If not possible, do Tratak. It is a very effective yogic practice. Sit in a dark room and stare at a still candle flame. It should be at eye level. Try not to blink and do this till you forget your thoughts. Do this for a month. Also do dhyaan mudra for at least half an hour a day.
Power yoga guru, Trisha Maharaj Singh runs a Yoga and Wellness studio in Pune to help people rediscover the transformative power of yoga. She has trained a number of celebrities including international pop star, Belinda Carlisle.
Send in your questions on yoga to email@example.com now! And don’t forget to include `Yoga FAQ` in the subject line.